PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FUEL SYSTEMS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/fuel-systems-210/)
-   -   Help w/Fuel System For Swap (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/fuel-systems-210/help-w-fuel-system-swap-554009/)

NorCalAnthony 10-25-2018 09:48 AM

Help w/Fuel System For Swap

Hey Guys,
Tried posting this over at ls1tech but haven't gotten any help so I thought I'd try reposting it here. Anyways, like the title says I'm gathering up the last of the parts I need to do an LS swap in my 84 K5 Blazer and I'm trying to get the fuel system nailed down. I've been reading on here and some other forums about what people with similar setups have done but wanted to run my list by the folks on here to see if there's anything I need to tweak to make sure everything's going to work for my setup. Most folks doings LS swaps in these square body trucks just run an AC Delco EP381 pump in an 87-91 factory TBI sending unit and use a Corvette filter/regulator but I've been reading mixed info about how much HP that setup will support before it starts being a choke point...

The engine I'm using is a stock bottom end LQ9 from an 05 Escalade and I'm swapping on a set of 243 heads with AI's 226cc porting along with a TBSS/Gen IV truck intake with the larger TB and a custom spec'd cam (222/228, 111+3, .604"/.595") from Cam Motion. Not sure on final HP but I'm guessing it'll be 450ish at the flywheel since it'll basically be an iron LS2 with a better cam and heads. So far the plan for the fuel system is:

- 36# truck flex fuel injectors (#12613411) in the factory returnless fuel rail
- Holley filer/regulator (#12-875) rated at 175 gph and preset at 59.5 psi
- Aeromotive 340 lph fuel pump (#50-1000) with their 10ga wiring kit (#16307)
- Summit 6AN braided PTFE hose for the feed & return
- Tank and sending unit from 87-91 K5 Blazer with EFI

The one thing I'm still not sure how to tackle is the wiring at the fuel pump/sending unit. The wiring kit comes with 10ga wires (plain ends) and they say to attach them to the fuel pump but my sending unit has an electrical bulkhead fitting with much smaller 16ga or 18ga wires going to the pump and sending unit with the grounds being combined in to a strap. I'm thinking I should replace that bulkhead fitting and wiring with something like a Racetronix universal bulkhead wiring kit (#BCWS-001) to handle the bigger pump. What do you guys think?

Last Call 10-26-2018 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony (Post 5450673)
Hey Guys,
Tried posting this over at ls1tech but haven't gotten any help so I thought I'd try reposting it here. Anyways, like the title says I'm gathering up the last of the parts I need to do an LS swap in my 84 K5 Blazer and I'm trying to get the fuel system nailed down. I've been reading on here and some other forums about what people with similar setups have done but wanted to run my list by the folks on here to see if there's anything I need to tweak to make sure everything's going to work for my setup. Most folks doings LS swaps in these square body trucks just run an AC Delco EP381 pump in an 87-91 factory TBI sending unit and use a Corvette filter/regulator but I've been reading mixed info about how much HP that setup will support before it starts being a choke point...

The engine I'm using is a stock bottom end LQ9 from an 05 Escalade and I'm swapping on a set of 243 heads with AI's 226cc porting along with a TBSS/Gen IV truck intake with the larger TB and a custom spec'd cam (222/228, 111+3, .604"/.595") from Cam Motion. Not sure on final HP but I'm guessing it'll be 450ish at the flywheel since it'll basically be an iron LS2 with a better cam and heads. So far the plan for the fuel system is:

- 36# truck flex fuel injectors (#12613411) in the factory returnless fuel rail
- Holley filer/regulator (#12-875) rated at 175 gph and preset at 59.5 psi
- Aeromotive 340 lph fuel pump (#50-1000) with their 10ga wiring kit (#16307)
- Summit 6AN braided PTFE hose for the feed & return
- Tank and sending unit from 87-91 K5 Blazer with EFI

The one thing I'm still not sure how to tackle is the wiring at the fuel pump/sending unit. The wiring kit comes with 10ga wires (plain ends) and they say to attach them to the fuel pump but my sending unit has an electrical bulkhead fitting with much smaller 16ga or 18ga wires going to the pump and sending unit with the grounds being combined in to a strap. I'm thinking I should replace that bulkhead fitting and wiring with something like a Racetronix universal bulkhead wiring kit (#BCWS-001) to handle the bigger pump. What do you guys think?

The 340 is the largest pump you want to run with the Corvette regulator. Yes on replacing the wiring and bulkhead, the 340 draws more amps than the factory TBI pump.