FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

fuel issue 04 2500HD gas 6.0 (HELP PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel issue 04 2500HD gas 6.0 (HELP PLEASE)

Ok so i have no clue how to post vids up here so ill describe it as best as i can.
2004 chevy 2500HD 6.0, the truck is slugish as hell. i do have an exhaust manifold leak on rear cylinder on driver side that I am fixing tomorrow.
I happened to check the freeze frame data on the DTC im geting for my EVAP and looked at the LTFT and its setting at +25 STFT is at 0. now that being said ive been thinking its been going lean under heavy loads up hills. (NO POWER) so today i stoped by autozone and rented a fuel pressure test kit. the results where 15-20 psi with key on not running but as soon as I hit the key to start it it jumped to 58 while still cranking. and stayed at 58 while running.
while at 58 and running i hit the bleed valve on the tester and it droped to 0 psi and took about 6-7 seconds to climb back to 58 psi. I also droped it in gear and put it under load and still 58 psi. when the key is off the pressure dropped slowly for a couple min till i unhooked it.
though i didnt drive it with it hooked up to see what it did.
am i crazy or is my fuel pump bad it is it something else? with the low key on not running pressure and the long recovery time coupled with the high LTFT im thinking the pump is weak and needs to be replaced. if it helps this is a stock truck with only an airaid jr kit (intake pipe and filter) stock exhaust and no programmer.
what am i missing?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry its also the returnless fuel system so regulator is internal to the pump. and is stock pump
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the key on engine off fuel pressure should be around 55 psi, plus or minus a few psi.

An exhaust leak will cause an extremely rich condition, and +25% LTFT will add that much fuel to acceleration enrichment.

I think you may be chasing two separate issues though.