FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

drop in replacement fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Having studied it, I agree with a few things:

No baffles, bucket full of fuel = longer life, air in lines/pressure loss= bad news.

However I have not seen the design documents or the testing data during design, and the pump still only pulls fuel from the sock, 100% outside the bucket. the bucket doesnt drain onto the sock, so I am still lost as to how we believe a bucket fuel of ~1L of fuel prevents starvation, especially when the pump is the one that is A) filling that bucket B) starving.

The venturi is there for a reason, otherwise penny-pinching GM wouldnt have it, or invested in the research. I just dont see it helping with starvation. I had a 255 without a venturi for most of my truck's life, and I would sometimes run it to the low fuel light off road and it never gave me a problem. Maybe it was the hydramat helping that, who knows. But the venturi on OEM systems doesnt eliminate failure as we know, but I am certain it prolongs life.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so here is my problem. the truck's fuel level sensor doesn't work so I can't tell how much gas is in the tank. I figured while I was fixing that problem I might as well upgrade the pump so I don't have to drop the tank twice. is there a sensor that I will need to replace or is it part of the canister assembly? i'm not really sure how these pump/canister assembly's are put together. i've only messed with it on my Grand Prix.

Edit: I think I figured it out. on summitracing website, the Tu 432HP-2 is compatible with my truck, but not on racetronix. it's the same part number so it must work, racetronix just hasn't updated their site. plus, racetronix sells it for a lot less.

Last edited by 'pacheMarshal; 10-18-2018 at 11:57 AM.