FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Clear up the confusion on a returnless fuel system

Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ezdaar

Now are you willing to roll the dice on a single pump at that power level? If that pump fails on a WOT pull. Bad things will happen.
If a single pump fails on a Wot pull, the engine will quit running. If one of two pumps fails during a WOT pull, the engine will go lean and possibly melt. Not enough gas is way worse than no gas.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:54 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Usually single pumps dont just turn off when the fail though, they usually get weak over time so you gradually lean out. Running rich (afr<stoich) and running lean (afr>stoich) is about same temperature wise at the same distance away from stoich. It is running at stoich that is the hottest and most dangerous, so the danger is leaning out a little bit so the engine sits at stoich.

For example, on gas engines they always run rich at WOT to use up all the available oxygen and maximize power since oxygen is the precious resource. On diesels, they run a super lean mixture and as they increase fuel EGTs start going up. This is why you dont typically see a wideband mentioned for diesels (most dont read above 20:1 afr) and why they are basically mandatory for gas engines while the opposite being true for EGT gauges.

A lot of words to say a single large pump isnt necessarily safer than 2 smaller pumps from that perspective.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

OK. I have reconfigured my fuel system so many times that I have no experience with pump failure with forced induction. My experiences with stock vehicles are few, but it seemed like I heard the pump for awhile before it failed, and one day would not start the car.
So it seems like the safest system would be something that kills boost and/or retards timing by monitoring a fuel pressure loss.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt

What vehicle is that bucket out of?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got a parts list for the fittings and other stuff you used 03sierraslt? or mabey a thread to a writeup on it?
Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro 450

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Just reloaded it. A lot of my videos are missing for some reason.

https://youtu.be/yoyRy60T9YA
so just by removing the pice will the walbro 450 work??

Search this Thread