FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

anyone tried merging the INLET of two walbro 450 into one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone tried merging the INLET of two walbro 450 into one?

anyone tried merging the INLET of two walbro 450 into one?

I have a holley hydramat and this thing is huge and I am going to be going with twin 450's. I would like to have the simplicity of just running the single hydramat but wondering if there will be issues with merging the pumps inlets together and having them share a sock. i am already merging the pump outlets to a single line so would it even matter if they pulled from the same sock as they are already going to be only pushing through a -6 at the outlet side? i have shot this question over to holley as well , just waiting to hear back from them.

have not seen anyone do this before. any thoughts?

_zblee
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I see there is a picture on their website of Hydramats with multiple pump fittings.

You lose more flow restricting the inlet of a pump compared to restricting the outlet. I think it would be more restrictive to run two pumps through an inlet meant for one pump, than it would to have an inlet on a single pump that is a little small, because of the suction from the other pump.

In my opinion, you should ask Holley if you can add a fitting to your mat instead of two pumps teed together on their inlets.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Pumps are very sensitive to pressure loss at the inlet. I would avoid teeing them together.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holley just replied saying that their mat will not be the restriction it would be the fitting that that the pumps are merged to. i am going to contact walbro and see what they have to say. i am assuming they will confirm what atomic has already mentioned.

_zblee