Tundra 6peed tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Sport
My 2wd has a mechanical lsd in the rear, but yes, it does have all the traction control electronics also, which I turn off everytime i drive it.
No Tundra is aval with a mechanical LSD. They are all electronic brake set up. Do you have an aftermarket unit?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Launching!

My truck mysteriously leaves 2 identical black strips with all the electronic nannies turned off then. I think a gremlin did it...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

I tried to do some research on this but i could only find 2 articles that went more in depth about the LSD in the new tundra.

"The standard rear-wheel drive comes with what Toyota calls an automatic limited-slip differential. It uses the antilock brakes to apportion torque left and right, but it's not traction control per se; that's also standard, but can be turned off. ALSD allows some wheelspin for accelerating on loose snow, sand and the like. The optional four-wheel drive is a simple shift-on-the-fly part-time system with a dual-range transfer case."

My buddy has a 5.7 crew max 4 x 4 and he can lay two stripes also. However, his diff isnt locked. This little blurb above answers my question as to why one of his stripes is considerably darker than the other...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I dont really understand it then. If you attempt to do a burn out w/ the VSC and everything on, the computer cuts power and you only bark them for a moment, a lull and then you take off. If you attempt to do a burn out w/ the VSC off but Auto LSD on, its the same sensation, you just squeel a tad longer before you get gone. W/ both turned off, I can lay some very nice stripes, so I dont understand why Im not doing 1 wheel wonders if there is not some physical type of LSD in the rear.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If both wheels loose traction equally you can lay rubber w/ both tires. We had vans with open rears and could lay smoke w/ both tires. Just nature of the beast.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

I dont think its a big deal, hows that GM tap working out for yall? And the 10 bolt rear? and the 4L60e's? and the...I think you get my point...

I don't have a problem with any of these i do dislike the 4l70 but I would keep it over having my came shafts break or the tq converter screw up. My uncle has a new tundra and the power is impressive but nothing else it.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Launching!

20 - 30 cases out of over 100k sold is not exactly a big deal. Ill let you figure up the percentage, but its way under 1%.

All Im saying is that its foolish to make these bloated statements about the Tundra, when in reality they are VERY small scale problems in the grand scheme of the line. If you dont like the Tundra fine, dont buy one, but dont make sensationalist claims that have no basis in fact that could be seen by onlookers and taken as fact.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

20 - 30 cases out of over 100k sold is not exactly a big deal. Ill let you figure up the percentage, but its way under 1%.

All Im saying is that its foolish to make these bloated statements about the Tundra, when in reality they are VERY small scale problems in the grand scheme of the line. If you dont like the Tundra fine, dont buy one, but dont make sensationalist claims that have no basis in fact that could be seen by onlookers and taken as fact.
its not a couple cases. For one i posted this cause i found it while just checking stuff out for my uncle. for two at tundra solution there are a lot more problems then you see on chevy web site. for three i posted it here for people like you to have them so that you might be aware of what is out there. four its not for the people who have chevy to laugh at the tundra thats why it was posted in the tundra section. my point is that the NEW tundra is having a lot more problems % wise then the new chevy and even more numbers of problems then the new chevy. Its the only non fully boxed frame half ton and the only one having these problems. Its sold a lot and is a nice truck. its not as nice as a chevy and put them side by side and you will see that. I know cause my truck is side by side with a tundra every weekend. There the second best truck and i will admit that but they are having a lot of bugs to work out over the GM ones. I look at my uncles 8k truck and my 22k chevy and my truck still looks and drives new and his rattles and has a lot of problems with fit and finsih already. he has a dent where his bed hit his cab and my bed doesn't even move when i go off road. there fast but that doesn't make them a good TRUCK
Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ob_silverado
its not a couple cases. For one i posted this cause i found it while just checking stuff out for my uncle. for two at tundra solution there are a lot more problems then you see on chevy web site. for three i posted it here for people like you to have them so that you might be aware of what is out there. four its not for the people who have chevy to laugh at the tundra thats why it was posted in the tundra section. my point is that the NEW tundra is having a lot more problems % wise then the new chevy and even more numbers of problems then the new chevy. Its the only non fully boxed frame half ton and the only one having these problems. Its sold a lot and is a nice truck. its not as nice as a chevy and put them side by side and you will see that. I know cause my truck is side by side with a tundra every weekend. There the second best truck and i will admit that but they are having a lot of bugs to work out over the GM ones. I look at my uncles 8k truck and my 22k chevy and my truck still looks and drives new and his rattles and has a lot of problems with fit and finsih already. he has a dent where his bed hit his cab and my bed doesn't even move when i go off road. there fast but that doesn't make them a good TRUCK
The new Tundras problems can be summed up in 3, 20-30 early production trucks had bad camshafts, Toyota replaced them under warranty with a new crate engine, a few 4wd owners had transmission issues, I dont know the outcome there yet, but Ive only read a few cases on TS, and apparently, some are having tailgate "failures", in that I suppose the tailgate straps are breaking (which ironically happened on my GMC and I read about happening on Dodges, so it doesnt seem that uncommon) and thats an obvious fix. The Ford Super Duties dont have fully boxed frames either, nor do semi trucks...but yeah, I guess that makes the Tundra weaker ...And finally, Ive had a 98, 02 GMC, Ive looked at the new GMs, and admit they are very nice pickups, but the Tundra is simply a cut above right now, as far as 1/2 tons go. My trucks fit/finish is outstanding and I dont have a single rattle. I at the dented cab, as thats a retarded statement and if it did happen, maybe he shouldve noticed the bed jumpin around before it happened. I personally have not experienced any of the supposed "bed bounce".

But, we can go back and forth all night on this, Im simply saying, the Tundra is a solid (and IMO the best) 1/2 offering right now and Ill end with this...Tundra sales were up 78% in October, Toyota sales are up 3.8% so far this year...hows GM doin?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

But, we can go back and forth all night on this, Im simply saying, the Tundra is a solid (and IMO the best) 1/2 offering right now and Ill end with this...Tundra sales were up 78% in October, Toyota sales are up 3.8% so far this year...hows GM doin?

Well we can go back and forth all night, day week month years. I will agree on that. I wouldn't say the tundra is a cut above. I think that the GM and the tundra both win in certain areas. When I say fit and finish I am not saying the toyota is bad, its not. What I am saying is its not as good as the GM line up. My uncle the tundra in the family even said that. He loves his truck just like you love your tundra but he said he wish he would have bought a new dmax now. The biggest selling point for him was the 5.7 and the crewmax. He has two teenage boys over 6'4" the chevy just can't compete when people need that extra room. What I am saying is that it was about 1500 truck with the cam shafts and not sure how many tq converters. On the boxed frame every half ton has a box frame but the tundra. No 2500 and up have them but they have bigger and thicker frames. here are some video you can watch. But I like the tundra and if i was in a market for a single cab i would by one like yours but I am not.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sPfvOPAUIgw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZz3xly3HUA&feature=related not really a far comparo

and the most of the tundra buyers are previous toyota owners anyways. but we will agree to disagree

Quick Reply: Tundra 6peed tranny problems