Notices

Engine issues...mostly Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine issues...mostly Ford

I picked up another Mazda B2200 a couple days ago. It's got a Ford V8 under the hood, mated to an auto tranny. The kid told me its a 302 from an '87 Mustang GT.

Here lies the issue. For starters, it needs a belt. From crank, to water pump, and alternator. Its a V-Belt. In the early 80s GTs had a serpentine belt AND was fuel injection. This engine has a 4bbl edelbrock on top, and on side the block by the oil filter, there's an autozone fuel pump block off plate.

Looking at it in general, I am pretty sure its a truck engine, not a Pony GT.

We tried to start it, but the electric aftermarket fuel pump isnt hooked up. We did pour gas straight into carb, and it ran fine, no funny noises or anything like that. I'd like to run the manual fuel pump for ease.

I dont remember the EXACT hook up for the Edelbrock carbs. I think directly in the front/center/lower is the inlet. On the back/side/top there's a hose connection on each side. Are those for the secondaries to be hooked to a vacuum source? Im feeling thats what they are.

Im not sure if its bone stock or not, as the intake mani and carb are not. I dont know what else inside is left alone tho. It has stock exhaust manifolds tho, but I DO have aftermarket for it, but they are sitting on the floorboard. I dont think they fit.

Any possible insight in this is GREAT. I've always had a chevy engine. But for this truck, a ford engine is best to use....distributor is not against firewall.

Tips? Suggestions? Anything is appreciated!

Here's the little power plant.

Last edited by SilverSquared; 10-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fuel inlet is on the top, passenger side corner of the carb. the big port in the front/center of the carb is a big vacuum port for the PCV valve if used. if you don't use it, cap it obviously. since it's there i suppose you might as well run it, but if it were mine i would ditch the edelbrock ASAP and use the money from it to get a holley.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Holy ****. No wonder it wouldnt run! He had the front center used as a fuel inlet. Is there any way to tell exactly what model carb I have? Kinda wanna gauge the upgrade off of that model.

Or what do you suggest? 6 to 700cfm?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol yeah that would be why, there should be a 4 digit number (14xx) on the front of the carb on the left side looking at it, down by the mounting bolt. something around a 600cfm should be plenty without going overboard. might as well get it running with that carb since you have it on there already and go from there. it might turn out to be an OK carb, i've just never liked edelbrock carbs so i'm a little biased there.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

1407 is my carb. The inlet you referred to, top/rear/passenger side...that sumbitch was filled in with mud. LMAO!

According to the specs, my carb is a 750cfm. Meh. May be a bit too much. We shall see when she's running.