FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What is the smallest oil fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Wait until its cool and just push in the blanket to get the cap off. Yea a spacer will move the turbo slightly, but the vbands can be rotated to account for it. We are only talking about 1/2" here.

You can see what I did. Worked fine

Name:  IMG_3517Custom.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  168.1 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AkSSS
You have had turbos. You know what the blanket does after getting baked. I would be buying a new blanket from it falling apart from taking it on and off.

I want it done right. Or not at all.
If you're blanket is falling apart it's a POS.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I've had $250 blankets that fell apart. Wish we all had your luck and expertise in such matters.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
If you're blanket is falling apart it's a POS.
I'm just going off of my experiences. Little that I have. I have had 4 different turbo blankets. So far all of them I have had, from cheap eBay to the most expensive one I could get from forced inductions get hard and brittle once it gets cooked. I am always open to hearing advice on a good experience. Please share with me which one was the best for you. I am now in the need of another one now. Haha
Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't be so passive Richard, you won't hurt my feelings.

The way I see it, if your blanket is disintegrating, it's inadequate to handle the heat and may not be doing much. I'd also be pissed if I spent $250 and had it fall apart; hopefully you got a refund.

You may be better off going OEM style and making a metal shield out of a pot.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's a difference between disintegrating and getting hard. The latter is what I've experienced, but I've never caused any significant deformity of the blanket removing it. In other words, I never damaged the blanket replacing it to get the oil cap off.

Also, you probably won't be changing your oil more than 4 times annually so I don't see this as that big of a deal personally.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
There's a difference between disintegrating and getting hard. The latter is what I've experienced, but I've never caused any significant deformity of the blanket removing it. In other words, I never damaged the blanket replacing it to get the oil cap off.

Also, you probably won't be changing your oil more than 4 times annually so I don't see this as that big of a deal personally.
This whole thread was to see if there was options for my setup from what I was doing. I will leave the valve covers swapped before I am going to pull my blanket every time I need to take off the oil cap. It is a pain in the *** to get the spring on the inside of the blanket near the center section.

Again. Once the blankets get hard and you take them on and off, you have to spread them apart to remove. I'm not trying to be a dick. But you know that. Just like all the others I have had, once I pull them apart enough to lift them off the turbo they just crumble. Look at the above pictures of the turbo after i pulled off the blanket. You can see pieces of the inside of the blanket all over the housing. This was a over $200 blanket from FI.

So I ask again. What blanket are you using or had used in the past. I am always game to try a new or different product with better results.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Well this route costs money, but have you considered ceramic coating the turbine housing in lieu of the blanket? Not powdercoat, but the real deal 2000°F stuff you see on underground racing turbo kits... That would give you more space, but costs money
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I have my valve covers reversed. I got a van oil filler, cut it in half, and extended it with a "z" shaped radiator hose. Then I mashed up a bracket and mounted the filer next to the master cylinder.
All I have to say is you have the perfect username for setup!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

It's because everything that I have ever done is MacGyver-ed, so I chose the name because I am not ashamed of my jury rigging.