FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

is a water cooled turbo worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
turbo timer is the bigest waste of money i can think of. how hard is it to not get into boost for the last few minutes of your trip and if you did happen to get into boost ripping across the parking lot then you can just remember not to shut it off for a few minutes.
I got it clear.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A water cooled turbo will put more load on your cooling system too. If you don't already have a bigger/better radiator I would look into it.

FWIW a lot of remote start aftermarket car alarms have a turbo timer function built in.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
I have an EGT gauge, and usually make sure it's below 1000 before shutting the truck off. Most times, even if I pull off a road and straight into a parking spot, it's already below 1000 just from coasting for 4 or 5 seconds. If it's not, it rarely takes any more than about 10 seconds to get EGT's below 1000. I agree that a turbo timer is a waste of money...sitting in the idling truck for 10-15 seconds after parking is easy enough.
Me too but I wait until 800* to kill it...
Old 07-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Water cooled turbos for the most part are not necessary for our application, cuz the turbos are not worked hard for long periods of time and are not generally extremely hot when the motor is shut off. Their main purpose it to reduce oil "cokeing" which happens when you shut the engine off with the turbo still very hot. The oil in the bearing housing will mostly drain out leaving a very thin coat that can't dissipate the heat of the hot turbo and that oil will "coke" and turn into hard crap and can eventually plug up the oiling cavities and bearings in the turbo.

A water cooled turbo will prevent this because there will still be water in the cooling cavities around the bearing housing to dissipate the heat of the turbine, keeping the temp low enough so the oil won't coke in the turbo. Most OEM use water cooled turbos so they don't have to worry about the consumer letting the turbo cool down for a couple of minuits after being worked hard for an extended period of time.

As far as how to hook up the water source, I always just T both heater hoses with 5/8 though X 3/8 nipple T's and connect both of those T's to the turbo housing water connections. It doesn't mater which one connects to ware, as direction of flow makes no difference. It will flow naturally, because the feed to the heater core is always of higher pressure then the return since the core is a restriction.
I know this is a really old thread but why run a t on both hoses? Can't you just cut the feed line to the heater core only to feed and drain the turbo?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

You can just split one hose and connect the ends to your turbo water ports.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
You can just split one hose and connect the ends to your turbo water ports.
That's what I thought. Just seems a lot easier too.