FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

is a water cooled turbo worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
thats another question i have. if you plumb inline with the heater if the heater is off and you have the heat/cool setting to full cold, then don't it block the flow of water threw the core. therefore cutting flow of water threw the turbo? if not then how does it flow? maybe i'm off here.
Like nonnie said, our heater cores are always flowing. Most cars do not. I plumbed mine inline with the heater core and have not noticed any issues yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
GFYS and STFU

Cool stuff, I didn't know that's where the water cooled turbo's were plummed from, I might do this when I go front mount...eventually. Update your thread chris, I wanna know how the jet engine's doing!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Water cooled turbos for the most part are not necessary for our application, cuz the turbos are not worked hard for long periods of time and are not generally extremely hot when the motor is shut off. Their main purpose it to reduce oil "cokeing" which happens when you shut the engine off with the turbo still very hot. The oil in the bearing housing will mostly drain out leaving a very thin coat that can't dissipate the heat of the hot turbo and that oil will "coke" and turn into hard crap and can eventually plug up the oiling cavities and bearings in the turbo.

A water cooled turbo will prevent this because there will still be water in the cooling cavities around the bearing housing to dissipate the heat of the turbine, keeping the temp low enough so the oil won't coke in the turbo. Most OEM use water cooled turbos so they don't have to worry about the consumer letting the turbo cool down for a couple of minuits after being worked hard for an extended period of time.

As far as how to hook up the water source, I always just T both heater hoses with 5/8 though X 3/8 nipple T's and connect both of those T's to the turbo housing water connections. It doesn't mater which one connects to ware, as direction of flow makes no difference. It will flow naturally, because the feed to the heater core is always of higher pressure then the return since the core is a restriction.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i figure if it doesn't cost anything to get it and its that easy to plumb in and it can prevent coking. then why not do it. that way i don't have to worry about the wife kicking some ones *** on the way to walmart. getting there and shutting it down HOT. plus mine i have on there now spools while i'm in lock up going up and down hills. so it when i go to pull a load through the moutains i know its staying some what cooler. right? basically its not really needed but its not gonna hurt anything either is what i'm geting from this.?.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I had a Garrett 60-1 non water cooled for awhile no issues. Bought a Turbonetics T66 (journal bearing non-watercooled) and I started having smoking problems almost immediately only at WOT. Bought another identical turbo because my truck is my daily driver... couldn't afford the downtime. Checked bearing play when I pulled it and it appeared to be no different than at installation. The second brand new turbo started smoking, again, almost immediately after installation. For reasons I don't really care to get into it took 2 ******* months to get the 1st turbo back... although it came back as a journal bearing water cooled setup. Yes, the wait sucked... but I paid shipping ONLY to Jose... thats it... nothing else. BIG props to Jose. Feedback from T-netics is that the turbo was getting too hot. First, I do not beat the crap out of my truck on a daily basis... very rarely actually. Second, I do run a blanket... but I ran a blanket on the 60-1 as well. So far, the water cooled turbo isn't smoking... maybe have 600 miles or so on it.

Bill
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i dont think it is worth much. run good oil and let it cool down a little after a hard run and you will be fine.
Can do that turbo timer like you take key out from ingition. Lock door, you go do errand let car running for several minutes to make turbo cooler. That way Turbo timer will shut down correct?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.jgycustoms.com/ka24det/electronics.htm that is example. Or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FORD-FOCUS...06241226a24842
Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Can do that turbo timer like you take key out from ingition. Lock door, you go do errand let car running for several minutes to make turbo cooler. That way Turbo timer will shut down correct?
turbo timer is the bigest waste of money i can think of. how hard is it to not get into boost for the last few minutes of your trip and if you did happen to get into boost ripping across the parking lot then you can just remember not to shut it off for a few minutes.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i have a turbo timer got it for free. used it a few times. but still think if its free upgrade then its free insurance. any insurance is good. it just so hot here that some times siting in the parking lot at idle will bring the temp way high like eng temps at 215 and trans temps just as high sitting still.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

I have an EGT gauge, and usually make sure it's below 1000 before shutting the truck off. Most times, even if I pull off a road and straight into a parking spot, it's already below 1000 just from coasting for 4 or 5 seconds. If it's not, it rarely takes any more than about 10 seconds to get EGT's below 1000. I agree that a turbo timer is a waste of money...sitting in the idling truck for 10-15 seconds after parking is easy enough.

Quick Reply: is a water cooled turbo worth it??