FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please no one take this the wrong way but you talk about how long you have had them but sounds like most people aren't pushing them hard I mean under 600hp even under 500hp. I'm wondering when these need the rotors serviced?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

As far as twin screw/Lysolm/TVS blowers are concerned, that design has been around 120+yrs. Its used in air compression, building HVAC, high volume vacuum systems/atmospheric chambers and of course for increasing performance of an internal combustion engine

I do not question the longevity of a twin rotor blower. I've rebuilt M60s, M90s, M112s, and TVS1900s. Its ~8 bearings, counting the bypass blade. Ive seen the bypass blade wear the case, and Ive seen heavy scouring in the case from the rotors, but still made factory 7lbs on the car and it was quiet

My L67 Buick has 124k on it, I of course rebuilt the blower after I ported it an pullied it. We've seen those engines go 300k+ reportedly on the original blower. Honestly, there is nothing in there to break. Everything in them is stronger than the belt than drives them.

Turbos are plenty reliable too. Heat management is a problem, but nothing wrong with a well built turbo system
Old 12-05-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Please no one take this the wrong way but you talk about how long you have had them but sounds like most people aren't pushing them hard I mean under 600hp even under 500hp. I'm wondering when these need the rotors serviced?
Yeah I mainly bought it because of low end torque for a loaded DD pig, perceived reliability, and completeness of the kit. In this regard I achieved 100% success. However I (as everyone) find myself wanting more but honestly no rush at all. I am getting out of debt first then an endless journey of fun is in the cards. I will even go turbo again on another truck or maybe even this one but right now it was positively the correct choice for my needs. Supposed to not even need an oil change on blower until 100k.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Random question. I'm sure Whipple and Maggies are more efficient but how come BDS systems aren't as popular?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Honestly never heard of BDS until I read your post. Maybe bad advertising?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Tig
... how come BDS systems aren't as popular?
Putting a Roots blower on top of the engine without an intercooler wouldn't be a good idea with a fuel inected engine because of the heat. With a carburetor on top of the blower or fuel injectors on top instead of in the ports it will work with gasoline, but it would work great with either setup on top running straight alcohol instead of gasoline.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Check out our line of supercharger kits. Great value and Limited lifetime warranty. Our supercharger starts building boost around 1800 rpms. Our impeller is designed to give more low end torque than any centrifugal on the market. If you follow Richard Holdener on Instagram or facebook you may have seen a dyno test where he just made 700 hp on a cammed junkyard 4.8 with our supercharger on our stock pulley combo!

Torqstorm
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Honestly never heard of BDS until I read your post. Maybe bad advertising?
Huh, they've only been around since the late 60s early 70s
I think they started late in the LS game but have been big with the carbed guys
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Putting a Roots blower on top of the engine without an intercooler wouldn't be a good idea with a fuel inected engine because of the heat. With a carburetor on top of the blower or fuel injectors on top instead of in the ports it will work with gasoline, but it would work great with either setup on top running straight alcohol instead of gasoline.
After reading a little deeper into it, I get it now haha.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torqstorm
Check out our line of supercharger kits. Great value and Limited lifetime warranty. Our supercharger starts building boost around 1800 rpms. Our impeller is designed to give more low end torque than any centrifugal on the market. If you follow Richard Holdener on Instagram or facebook you may have seen a dyno test where he just made 700 hp on a cammed junkyard 4.8 with our supercharger on our stock pulley combo!

Torqstorm
I'll check him out. Thanks for posting.
Do you guys have a kit available for 07+ Tahoe?

Quick Reply: Turbo or supercharger?