PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Turbo guys do you tow? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/turbo-guys-do-you-tow-347395/)

thunderwagen 08-24-2005 10:33 PM

Turbo guys do you tow?

Do any of you guys with turbos tow anything? I have been thinking about switching out the radix for a turbo set up, but I occasionally tow a boat that weighs 2600 lbs dry. I have talked to Livernoise and they dont recomend towing anything over 500 lbs. If thats the case I may have to stick with the Radix.

kbracing96 08-24-2005 10:38 PM

I tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer with all my life belongings in it :). Weighs about 3000# and no problems. I know Jerry2500 tows his 9000# camp trailer with his STS 6.0L.

NXRICKY 08-24-2005 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
Do any of you guys with turbos tow anything? I have been thinking about switching out the radix for a turbo set up, but I occasionally tow a boat that weighs 2600 lbs dry. I have talked to Livernoise and they dont recomend towing anything over 500 lbs. If thats the case I may have to stick with the Radix.

Have not pulled with mine YET.. 500lbs, that means a big fat no way. 500 lbs a trailer will way more than that... Whats the point in having a truck that you can not tow with..
Anyway just waiting on 2 things... 1 The race car to get finished, and 2 the water meth kit from FJO then I will be all set...

Maybe he ment 5K lbs... but either way did they happen to say why?
Sure you will have the truck under a load a little more but on flat ground once at cruise should be just like a reg. truck. I have found that mine on 100+ days is a little sluggish but all boost application feel that...

Ricky

bud8fan 08-24-2005 10:45 PM

i pulled my boat with the sts with no problem...jerry pulls a 5th wheel almost every weekend with his....

Wilde Racing 08-25-2005 12:57 AM

I don't see any reason why you can't, just have to watch your exhaust temps.

BlownChevy 08-25-2005 01:36 AM

I cant comment on the Turbo......

But I just got done with ANOTHER tour of the USA with the 6.0, Radix, and a 14K trailer.

JERRY2500 08-25-2005 06:54 AM

8500# 5th wheel, and pull it at least 3 times a month. No problems here. You will need an intercooler if your going to pull were there's steep hills. Most of the time your not in boost. Only when your going up steep grades and that were the intercooler comes in to keep the intake temps down. Or you can use water, alky or meth injection to bring the temps down. My IAT's would go up to about 135-140* before i put the IC. after the IC 125* max. will in boost then it would cool back down to 100-110*. This is in mid 90* outside temps. With the water it doesnt rise and with meth it drops about 5-10*. If been towing with it for over a year. Like Wild racing said just have to watch exhaust temps. I think thats why my cats went. Probably a good thing :D

zippy 08-25-2005 10:16 AM

this is one area where the STS kit works well over the standard front mount. the STS having the turbo in back keeps the underhood temps considerably lower allowing for a much higher towing capacity. exhaust and coolant temps are all you have to watch for really.

vanillagorilla 08-25-2005 02:00 PM

I'm going to haul when I get my turbo on. Haul Ass!!! :jest: JK.

Anyway, I wouldn't think you'd have any issues considering all semi's have turbos. Watch your tranny temps too. :D

2toneblown 08-25-2005 02:04 PM

semi's are also deisels haha

vanillagorilla 08-25-2005 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
semi's are also deisels haha

And your point is....???

2toneblown 08-25-2005 03:14 PM

a deisel motor and a gas motor are 2 way different motors with or without turbos. you just cant compare a turbo gas motor to a turbo deisel motor in any way

zippy 08-25-2005 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
a deisel motor and a gas motor are 2 way different motors with or without turbos. you just cant compare a turbo gas motor to a turbo deisel motor in any way

:stupid:

vanillagorilla 08-25-2005 04:26 PM

Yes, but there are diesel guys that hang out on this site too. Hence the entire sections dedicated to them. The question was "turbo guys", not "gas turbo guys, that only drag race their trucks".

The diesel/semi reference was just a simple example of the fact that a turbo can take the heat and abuse that towing dishes out.

2toneblown 08-25-2005 06:01 PM

ok ok your right.

Wilde Racing 08-25-2005 06:25 PM

Yes, but a diesel engine exhaust is not near as hot as a gas engine. they don't like 1200+ deg. plus a the more fuel you put throu a gas engine the coolder the exhaust temps, were as the more fuel you put throu a diesel the higher the exhaust temps.

SilverC5Vert 08-26-2005 11:07 AM

Similar to the GMC Syclone, we don't recommend towing anything over 500 lbs. The constant load on the engine could cause serious engine and/or transmission damage, not to mention will also cause the turbo to get very hot and could possibly melt down the turbo wheel. We have a customer that ordered the kit that was aware of this and he said he was going to make it so the wastegate was always open. This may help, but we don't recommend it.

-Rick

duner 08-26-2005 12:20 PM

I tow with mine fairly often.... but I do my absolute best to keep it out of boost. With my setup the turbo hits far too hard (think 200 shot of No2), and if I've got much weight on the trailer at all I worry about taking the transmission or rearend out. Granted, my truck and turbo system is setup for making hp - but I use it as a truck also. If you're making much boost at I would recommend against towing in boost. I generally just downshift and only apply enough throttle to keep the engine still in vaccuum when climbing hills while towing.

I did try an experiment where I turned the boost down to about 5 psi while towing. The results were that if I towed while in boost (like up a long uphill section), I'd (a) get going way too fast with a trailer or (b) make too much water temperature and heat and end up having to slow down anyway.

The final result was that I managed to destroy the front fenders on two of my quads because they were loaded sideways on the trailer and the amount of wind at 100+ mph ripped the fenders at their mounting points. :judge:

When towing big stuff I take it MUCH easier!

http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/DunerTows.JPG

So much for towing in boost!

http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/S...vs%20Duner.WMV

kbracing96 08-26-2005 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by duner
I tow with mine fairly often.... but I do my absolute best to keep it out of boost. With my setup the turbo hits far too hard (think 200 shot of No2), and if I've got much weight on the trailer at all I worry about taking the transmission or rearend out. Granted, my truck and turbo system is setup for making hp - but I use it as a truck also. If you're making much boost at I would recommend against towing in boost. I generally just downshift and only apply enough throttle to keep the engine still in vaccuum when climbing hills while towing.

I did try an experiment where I turned the boost down to about 5 psi while towing. The results were that if I towed while in boost (like up a long uphill section), I'd (a) get going way too fast with a trailer or (b) make too much water temperature and heat and end up having to slow down anyway.

The final result was that I managed to destroy the front fenders on two of my quads because they were loaded sideways on the trailer and the amount of wind at 100+ mph ripped the fenders at their mounting points. :judge:

When towing big stuff I take it MUCH easier!

http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/DunerTows.JPG

So much for towing in boost!

http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/S...vs%20Duner.WMV

All I have to say is DAMN!!! Those are some fast Dodges!!!

JERRY2500 08-26-2005 01:22 PM

I set my boost to 5psi when i tow, but hardly ever see boost will towing.

NXRICKY 08-26-2005 04:24 PM

I think as long as youtake your time, and not try to race while towing all is good in the world.. Besides how much time do you really save trying to haul ass while towing anyway...I know all the stuff everyone pulls costs a bunch like those 4 wheelers, cars, boats.
Ricky

duner 08-26-2005 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
I think as long as youtake your time, and not try to race while towing all is good in the world...
Ricky

Awe C'mon man! What a kill-joy!

You mean like: use common sense and be safe and all that?

Where's the fun in that?

I really do take it easy when towing.... except for that ONE time!
Well OK, that OTHER time too, but it was a new Mustang and he goaded me into it! hehehe
:drive:

thunderwagen 08-26-2005 09:46 PM

I haul the boat to the coast 2 - 3 times a year, and to the lake a few miles away mabey 1 -2 times a month. I don't try to race it when it is back there. The fastest I have had it with the boat back there is 75 and really dont think I need to go any faster than that with the boat.

NXRICKY 08-29-2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by duner
Awe C'mon man! What a kill-joy!

You mean like: use common sense and be safe and all that?

Where's the fun in that?

I really do take it easy when towing.... except for that ONE time!
Well OK, that OTHER time too, but it was a new Mustang and he goaded me into it! hehehe
:drive:

:nod:

thunderwagen 08-30-2005 07:36 AM

If you guys are towing that much weight across country with your turbos I ought to be able to pull my boat a few hundread miles with no problem. I think I am going to start gathering parts to do the swap.