PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Turbo education and planning (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/turbo-education-planning-553435/)

Northeastconfederate 08-17-2018 11:49 AM

Turbo education and planning

I've been reading up on turbos, both theory and some specific applications, educating myself on them and how to apply to a gasoline V-8. I'm planning to eventually turbocharge my 2011 4.8 RCSB Silverado. This will remain a street-driven truck that will need to pass NJ inspection. It's not my "daily driver" per se, though it could be. It gets parked in the back of the garage at the first salting of the roads and doesn't come out until a couple of good spring rains to clean the roads of salt.

I've decided that rather than buy one of the various kits out there, I'm going to build my own driver side turbo manifold; probably from schedule 40 pipe. There are many youtube videos out there detailing how to do this and I have the tools, equipment and skills to do that.

There are a number of things I don't have a good handle on yet. In some cases, I don't have a handle on some things at all. So, I'd like to see what others have done for some of this.

One thing I'd like to see is what guys do for downpipe/exhaust, including catalytic converters, if you use them. Inspection includes a visual to look for these, or at least it used to.

NJ does an OBD II computer scan to check for faults. From what I understand, they also check to see if the control unit has been programmed for O2 sensor delete; tuning, etc. How do you deal with this issue (obviously, this applies to any vehicle that's been tuned)?

And, what is an appropriately sized turbo for an otherwise stock 4.8? I'm thinking I'll run maybe 12 psi boost. Is this as reasonable as I think it is for a good balance of power and longevity of the stock motor?

let's hear it fellas, I want to hear your input. I read every thread I can find on here about turbo Chevys...

MrHorsepowerLSx 08-17-2018 04:45 PM

Hi I’m Jeff and I’m a boost addict!!! Anyways I live in NJ and my truck is boosted and passes state inspection every time it goes. ( I also work goofy hours now, and I take the truck to a local inspection facility ) It also passed when it was NA as well ( was a lot easier bc I had a dummy cat that passed my visual ) but it was FBO most of its life and never had any issues with the rear o2’s being tuned out. You just need to have a good tuner and make sure that your tune sets the readiness module properly and you will go right thru.

As for turbo size a 72-76mm will be more then perfect and the 76mm will give you so room to grow should you decide to up the ante. I would run meth with anything over 10 lbs if using pump gas.

Good investment as well would be a good set of valve springs, not totally needed but it is good piece of mind. Rocker trunnions are good to do as well. Depending on future goals and power levels can also help you on picking a good set of springs without breaking the bank

wretched73 08-17-2018 05:10 PM

I'm also in NJ and tuned. Never an issue with inspection- just FYI

Northeastconfederate 08-17-2018 06:17 PM

Thanks very much, both of you! I'm pretty excited to dig into this project but I am still a ways out. Got a lot more learni g to do before I dive in... Been a LONG time since I messed with vehicles with 4 wheels... 2 wheels and 2 cylinders is a different story, but that's also a different forum.... 😎😎

Northeastconfederate 08-17-2018 06:20 PM

Going back to the turbo size: when you refer to 72-76mm I assume you're referri g to compressor wheel? What about Area Ratio? From what I gather from my reading, something middle of the range is probably a good compromise for a street driven truck. So, like .8 or somewhere close to that? Am I thinking about that correctly?

And what about the hot side wheel?

Meth injection: I haven't done any reading on this at all, have just seen the odd post here and there. The purpose is to cool the intake charge, right? So with an intercooler you suggest meth injection above 10 lbs, right? Can this be the water diluted washer fluid I've seen mentioned?

Northeastconfederate 08-17-2018 08:56 PM

Meth

I just read an article on meth injection. Sounds like a fantastic idea. But my immediate reaction is, "Does it make sense to have this on what is basically a 'driver'?" I guess I need a little more reading to find out about methanol consumption and how practical it is.

What I mean is, can I just go inside at Wawa when I stop for gas and get a gallon of washer fluid and pour it in the meth tank? From what I read, ideal mixture is 50/50 water/meth; most -20 rated washer fluid is 70/30. It said the mixture can be richened up by adding a couple bottles of fuel line antifreeze. Now it sounds like a pretty major PITA if fueling up gets turned into a major project.

So: who's running meth injection? How often do you fill your meth tank?

Northeastconfederate 08-19-2018 07:29 AM

Bump...

Choda 08-19-2018 08:11 AM

Trick turbo stage 2 kit.

MrHorsepowerLSx 08-20-2018 07:19 AM

I run an ALKYCONTROL meth kit, and straight VPRacing M1. It’s like $30 for 5 gallon pail. It’s function is multipurpose.

Cool the intake charge
Remove heat from the combustion chamber
Provide a higher octane in the cylinder (meth should not be used as a compensation for fuel) it is used in conjunction with fuel.
Help resistant knock and detonation

I have a little more then a gallon capacity, actually the washer fluid reservoir is my meth tank. So depending on how much boost I hit will determine how much meth to spray. Also you don’t drive in boost 24/7 so depending on your driving habits will determine how often you need to refill the reservoir

Tig 09-09-2018 08:04 AM

Any progress updates?

I'm also curious as I know nothing about turbos. I recently finished making a hot sides using T6 divided flange but other than that, I have never had an interest until recently.
How do you figure your hot side tubing dimensions?
Is it all based on what size turbo?
From what I read people use anywhere from 2" to 2.25" tubing. I'm guessing it is all based on motor turbo combo?