PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   trick turbo, sts,122 or kb (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/trick-turbo-sts-122-kb-385561/)

ZO6Ted 02-11-2007 12:24 AM

trick turbo, sts,122 or kb

Greetings to all. This is my first post and I need your guidance. I bought an '07 classic rcsb Z71 5.3 just for FI on street tires. Weight with me in it is 5025. I thought about a TBSS but wanted another truck with a bed. I drive it daily and may occasionaly take it to my local 1/8 mi. strip. I live in Arlington, TX and I will do this in about 2 months. I went with 4wd for a reason, so I don't want it sluggish out of the hole. Since it is a DD I don't want a high stall. I am aware of trans mods needed (4L60E). I will probably keep this one awhile and just drive it. I don't want a race truck, but I would't mind outrunning Jeep SRT 8's and SRT10's. And yes, I can bring money. Thanks in advance to all!

1slow01Z71 02-11-2007 12:31 AM

I would highly consider the 122 or 2.8L KB for the low end you are wanting, a turbo will outrun you up top(properly sized of course) but a turbo cant compete at off idle tq. IMO the 122 would be the ticket since we have a very helpful guy on here(Blownchevy) who can not only sell it to you at a great price ut help you out if you have a problem. I would go ahead and buy the FLT Level 5 transmission first since you are going to need it anyway and it sucks getting stranded because of a transmission. After you get the trans in get you a nice blower or the low end you need, if you are out for the best 1/4 times possible then you should get a turbo, but since you said 1/8th and need low end with a small stall I would recommend the 122. Be prepared to ugrade teh shortblock if you get greedy with the boost. :jest:

ZO6Ted 02-11-2007 12:42 AM

Thanks for some great observations!

ZO6Ted 02-11-2007 01:04 AM

Would cam, headers or exhaust be worth it for my situation?

trtturbo 02-11-2007 08:45 AM

If you do the supercharger, then headers and cam will be worth it. With STS, the headers dont really matter much, but a cam will help.
Alot of the decision depends on the $$ you want to spend. Any forced induction is expensive. You may try a cam, mild stall, exhaust and tune and you will have great results. And with the smaller cam, it will work great with either sc or turbo.

nightrunner 02-11-2007 09:14 AM

i'd also suggest the KB 2.8L or the MP122HH because of the lowend you said you wanted and as 1slow already said nothing compares to the lowend of the a roots/roots-hybrid(122)/twinscrew(KB) supercharger along with that id also suggest a cam + springs, LT headers, full 3" exhaust, and then save for another motor because much over 8-10psi and its just a matter of time on the 5.3L

IF you stay with the 5.3 the 122 or 2.8L isnt necessary IMO the 112 or 2.6L would be suffecient but 9 times out of 10 we upgrade to a bigger motor so then the bigger blower would be needed

8ALTNG 02-11-2007 09:20 AM

All of those are proven power makers. I have personally had a Radix (112) and a STS (67mm) I had mich more fun with the turbo on the street. There is nothing like driving a truck and having that boost kick in and BAM!!!!!! BUT there is the problem. You have to wait for the boost to kick in. With the Radix, sometimes I didnt even know I was going into boost till it was too late. It just builds boost off idle evertime.

Personally, I would say go with a Livernois Turbo, Trick Performance, or a STS kit. The 1st 2 are nice because the turbo is out of the elements, but the STS is nice becasue of the stealth factor :secret2:

trever1t 02-11-2007 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
IF you stay with the 5.3 the 122 or 2.8L isnt necessary IMO the 112 or 2.6L would be suffecient but 9 times out of 10 we upgrade to a bigger motor so then the bigger blower would be needed

I agree, why go for the larger compressor on the 5.3L unless you have plans to increase bore in the future. I think you might give up a little on the bottom with them?
A free flowing exhaust and mild split duration cam will certainly improve performance on a supercharged engine.

ZO6Ted 02-11-2007 01:42 PM

I really appreciate all the insight from those that have already been where I'm going. I like the idea of "free" horsepower of a turbo, but since many races in the 1/8 are won in the first 60 ft. and I chose the extra weight of the 4wd for street traction, I'm kinda leaning towards the blower. I will likely never even try for anything quicker than a 7.9 (low-mid 12 in 1/4) as long as I own it. Is this possible with a stock bottom end in this 5000+ race weight vehicle or will I need more cubes. If I need more cubes then I would plan ahead and go with the bigger blower to begin with. Thoughts?

nightrunner 02-11-2007 02:09 PM

well trever1t is ALMOST maxxed out on his setup (Mp112 on a L33/5.3L) and he's runnin a 12.65 in the 1/4 in a ext cab you might get .1 or .2 better in the 1/4 but thats about it bein a reg cab

personally id swap to a 6.0L and get one of the blowers mentioned, would be easier