FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trick turbo installation and review

Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts

Grrrr this makes me really want to order myself a kit!

Good luck with the rest of the install!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

yes, bend those ac lines outta the way enough so they arent touching the hot side at all. Then go just a bit more. Then wrap them. I also used a heavy duty zip tie and pulled them toward the battery tray just to make sure it didnt rub.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I would like to know how you tap the oil pan too. Do you have to remove the oil pan?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smoketrail
Where do you intend on drilling it?
Are you taking the oil pan off?
Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
I would like to know how you tap the oil pan too. Do you have to remove the oil pan?
The majority of guys are putting the drain on the front of the oil pan. As far as dropping the pan vs. not there are some good threads with arguments about it. I am going to do it with the pan on. I have some good tips from trick and choda on how to do it.

Trick sent a text last night of how he does it using a piece of rubber hose over the drill bit with just the tip of the bit sticking out. That way it will prevent you from punching through the pan.

As far as tapping choda suggest using lots of grease to capture shavings. So grease the tap go a short way then remove tap clean it and regrease. Repeat lots of times until done. After you have the hole taped put some grease on your finger put it in the hole (if you can find it haha) and collect whatever may have fallen in. should be able to get all of it.

after I do all that I am going to drain my oil. with the drain plug still out I am going to run a quart of oil through the turbo drain line to flush out whatever may still be in there. That's the plan I will post pic after I am done.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Grrrr this makes me really want to order myself a kit!
Just do it!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

The way you are describing the clean out, reuse all your old oil. No need to use fresh, that way you have a huge amount and does not cost you any extra. You can also put grease on the end of a rag. that way you can get a little farther to pick up more. Try to clean as you go even after drilling and before tapping.

Shine a light into the hole and see if you missed any.

ALSO grease the drill or drills and drill slow. Keep wiping and applying grease as you move through the process.

Rick
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yamahaguy I am just holding it in place but that's where it will go and recirculates back into down pipe. In fact that is the only real problem I have run into so far is the a/c line hitting the wastegate I have already cranked on it a lot.

Rick is a 1/4" between a/c line and turbo enough?
I don't think I will be able to keep the line from touching the recirculation pipe will it get hot enough to burn the line?
Attached Thumbnails Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-015.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

AC LINE or water line? Pick isn't that clear.
If ac. You will need to reach in from the tire area. Grab the line at the crimped area.
Pull rearward and downward.
That plus moving at the accumulator will gain you room in that area.

If water line. Simply break loose at water pump and rotate slightly.

You want 1" min. Plus you will install thermal sleeve over those lines.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, that would be my preference.

I don't see any heat wrap or blanket. Are you not concerned with the heat from turbo and hot side?

Do you have a max boost psi expectation or just HP numbers?

I'm curious how much boost and HP your factory pump will be able to support.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

I got the hole drilled and tapped. I put it over on the right side so it will have more clearance from the belt. I circled the spot on the left where choda put his. I used a shop vac as well while drilling. I should have been more patient during the tapping I ended up with some shavings inside and spent a lot of time fishing them out. I will also be flushing oil through the new hole to make sure it all gets out.
Attached Thumbnails Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-002.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-001.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-003.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-005.jpg   Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-004.jpg  

Trick turbo installation and review-trick-turbo-kit-009.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trick turbo installation and review