FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Special turbo truck needs special muffler...Help my 68 truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special turbo truck needs special muffler...Help my 68 truck

Hi all I am posting in here since my truck has a turbo. It is a front mount T70 with a 3 inch down pipe. It is a 1968 Chevy so the rear suspension is a trailing arm setup so it is kindof tight. My current muffler is a Magnaflow but is one of the smaller oval with a length of about 14 inches. It is mounted right under the passenger side between the frame and the outside of the truck. It sure fit nice and tucked up inside. It exhausts right in front of my rear wheel. Well it is too loud inside the cab when driving down the highway.
I can get a longer and larger muffler in place but will need to check measurements to make sure.
Based on suspension and all I cant easily get the tip any further back. I thought about wrapping my muffler but figure my best bet is a different one.
I have seen the 30 inch magnaflow mentioned and this is a round one. What do you all think about that one. I would kindof like to try a different brand but not sure why. I hoped to not spend a fortune on this but hey it needs something as it was a long loud trip over the weekend and I do like to drive this.
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

A long muffler should help but you can also install a nice resonator directly in front of the muffler you have now to really help quiet the truck down.

I've run the vibrant ultra quiet resonators before and they work awesome, cost around 80-90 bucks on ebay.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks FFDP I will look into that. I have a cutout in front of the muffler now so that may need to go for fitment. I will do some measuring. If I can keep the cutout with some creative moving would you put this before or after this resonator?
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-09-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright I have researched and read and like I already knew there are as many opinions as there are mufflers.
Since I like to drive this on the highway for trips the loudness or maybe even drone is kindof tough so I am ready to throw down... I can make this fit but it is still a short run to the exit.
It seems the only thought so far is the resonator.
Dave