PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Sidemount mp90 Need some help. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/sidemount-mp90-need-some-help-503368/)

1SloLQ9 06-15-2012 11:01 PM

Sidemount mp90 Need some help.

Hey guys, I put a sidemount flamethrower mp90 on my truck about 1 month ago, Since day one it has made a weird growling noise you hear on the intake side of charger (opposite of belt pulley) It also made a dental drill type whine, I figured It needed new rear needle bearings and a snout bearing so i replace that.

Replaced rear needles, coupler and snout bearing. Same noise. Replaced rotor pack with a gen 5 rotor pack and same noise. also replaced rear needles again and pressed them in with correct tool. No scratches or fine lines in case, It just growls like marbles are in the charger but its mostly heard at rear of charger.

I replaced belt tensioner pulley no help there.. I did however notice my tensioner bounces around quite a bit and i'm only seeing 5.5-6psi with a 2.9 pulley on a stock 5.3 with exception of magnaflow 3'' exhaust kit.

Previous owner said he had not used kit in a while yet he ran it with the 3.3 pulley and saw same boost and never heard any noises.. I'm thinking either the case is warped causing bearing noise or the tensioner is bad and sound is traveleing.. I checked my dads 8.1 tensioner and it does not move at all.. mine bounces around and belt does not seem too tight like my gtp was. i'm thinking possible bad bushing or bearing in tensioner and loose belt causing lack of boost. belt seems good just may be too loose for this pulley.

Anyway.. anyone have one of these units or a supercharger and experienced funny growl through supercharger when tensioner was going on the fritz? I looked at some new ones today and the tensioner was nice and tight to the little mount, where mine has a 1/16'' gap on one side and is tight on the other..

also how tight should my belt be?

Thanks

89LS1FOXER 06-18-2012 10:15 AM

I use to run one of them, they will make a slight growling/whining noise, also my tensioner did end up making some noise at one point too but i replaced it and played with belt lengths to get rid of it.

Ferocity02 06-18-2012 11:55 AM

Quick spending money on trying to fix it and send it back and have it actually fixed, if it's even broken.

1SloLQ9 06-20-2012 12:25 PM

Yeah i'm going to replace the tensioner first i put a scope on it and it makes noise, its also connected to the s/c bracket so I will see what that helps. I am going to send it to Jon Bond performance in Iowa, Jon has an excellent backround for repair and has been extremely helpful with suggestions on what to look for. he is just going to look it over and see if its a case or bearing issue.