FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley size and boost levels

Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM
Admin

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
My point was not about that, but that everybody is talking about vacuum, and you are asking why you don't have enough boost. You don't need vacuum at the bypass to make boost.

Maybe your math is off? How are you measuring boost?
you are right, I was think of something else. The valve should be normally closed. Either way it shouldn’t be effected my a evap leak. Just unhook the vac ref and leave the valve closed and test it. Just don’t leave it this way for a long period as it will run hot.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
Maybe your math is off? How are you measuring boost?
And we have a winner! The simplest answer was the correct one. A bit of Occam's Razor for ya. Only it wasn't my math that was off, it was Magnuson's. And I was measuring boost through HP Tuners (what is it, Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure -minus- 14.4?). Magnuson finally let me know that they made a mistake and should have never given me the 84mm pulley in the first place to make the advertised 6psi. They said that an 84mm on a 6.2L indeed only makes 4psi and the 78mm makes the 6psi. They could have just told me that a LONG time ago when I asked. And here I was wondering what was wrong with my particular truck or the supercharger install.

They went on to say that for a 5.3L with a TVS1900, an 87mm makes 6.5psi and an 83 would make somewhere between 8.5-10psi (which is the pulley and psi boost that the SLP 1900 kit has for the 5.3L).

I can't help but wonder, what's the difference in FEELING, power, and 0-60mph between a 6.2L crew cab with the 78mm (6psi) and 5.3L crew cab with the 87mm (6.5psi) or even the 83mm (8.5-10psi). And does the 6.2L with the 78mm end up being an inferior choice to a 5.3L with an 83mm because the 78mm is going to spin much faster and heat up much quicker...?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

With a blower, the air its moving determines everything, not really the engine size. But I will be honest, I have never seen someone get so torn up about 2psi before
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
But I will be honest, I have never seen someone get so torn up about 2psi before
Funny, but it was primarily a concern that something was wrong with my truck since Magnuson said I should be getting 6psi with the kit when I bought the SC kit. A 2psi is a big difference when you're talking 4 versus 6. I was only getting 66% of what I was supposed to get and the truck was noticeably weak. Not what I paid for, that's for sure. But they fixed it and finally explained it was their mistake and not my truck, so all is good.