FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

interchiller

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Wasnt that the whole reason they went to the liquid cooling design, just to keep their bearings from siezing from heat basically?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I had the cooler that Trick built for a while on my KB blower and it really didn't do much for water temp. Might have brought them down 10-15* at most. But that blower made SOOOO much heat! Never liked that about it. GM KB's are just not a good blower imo. No where near what the Ford guys got out of them.
That was using lowside. So after it already expanded heading back to compressor. Will be interested to see results off the high side only.

And yep you are right. KB make stupid heat. Whipples do too.
Luckily for the lightning guys we build one badass intercooler for them.
But they have room the LS guys don't. Mickey Mouse heater cores just can't control heat. Making the water colder will help. How much time will tell.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

here is a pretty straight forward comparison.

quick conversion:

without chiller. 98* cruise to 174* WOT
with chiller 39* cruise to 114.8 WOT

chiller seemed to recover slightly better too. the majority of PT.net members are toying with daily drivers and not weekend track trucks.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
here is a pretty straight forward comparison.

quick conversion:

without chiller. 98* cruise to 174* WOT
with chiller 39* cruise to 114.8 WOT

chiller seemed to recover slightly better too. the majority of PT.net members are toying with daily drivers and not weekend track trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZQ7zX4Oz4g

Seems to be working to me.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Thats an awesome vid, but obviously missing important details. It sounds like a camaro or vette, so I wonder if the res tank isnt in the truck instead of the engine bay.

The system itself works well for cooling water, thats not under debate, its a question of in practical terms for different applications how well does it work compared to something more traditional like meth or just using ice.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't think I would implement it the same way they did... Makes more sense to keep isolated coolant loops so you're not always relying on the AC system to constantly cool the blower down. Have it pull as much heat as possible out of a reservoir tank while pumping through the IC using coolant from a conventional heat exchanger. Then enable a pair of three way valves to swap to the chilled water under heavy throttle. What do I care if my intake air is 30 degrees when I'm asking the engine for 50 horsepower...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

the interchiller isnt for every one, bu I can tell you here in TX, we never shut our AC off, even in what we call winter, its still 80+* outside.

The 104+* summer temps, the interchiller would be a godsend for a charger in TX.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic
in practical terms for different applications how well does it work compared to something more traditional like meth or just using ice.

well, there's nothing practical about using ice on the street, so throw that one out the window. so it boils down meth kits vs the uncharted territory of interchilling.

remember, some people (like myself) buy a blower with zero intentions of ever going to a track. is there a point to adding meth or an interchiller if my only intentions is to pull heavy loads and sit in traffic in the Texas heat?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM

I found a company called killer chiller that makes a universal kit for $800. this guy is using their kit. I'm debating being the guinnea pig for a interchiller system on my tow pig pending the arrival of a pallet I'm anticipating.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I would use both meth and the interchiller. Again, for me meth is an octane boost more so than a IAT drop.

I know plenty of guys, myself included, who have seen high IAT's with meth. Meth to control IAT needs to be injected post compressor IMO. On a PD blower thats very hard to do with even and accurate distribution between the holes.