FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

installing supercharger, how much am I leaving on the table

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing supercharger, how much am I leaving on the table

I'm adding a tvs1900 to my stock 2015 silverado 5.3 (already ordered). To keep the magnuson warranty, I use their tune on the stock engine. Alternatively, I was going to have it either dyno or remote tuned (local options are slim) and add headers. Am I missing out on a significant amount of hp by using the maggie tune and no headers? Significant amount to me is over 10% increase in hp.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would install the blower with the stock (magnasun) tune for now. Enjoy the warranty initially and make sure it's a solid unit.

Then when you go numb to the power increase of the blower go for the headers, possibly a smaller pulley, and a custom tune then. Best of both worlds and you'll get two levels of increase, eventually no matter how fast you a make a vehicle you will lose the initial feeling of improvement.
The following users liked this post:
ToBiN! (03-13-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

buddys 014 denali 4x4 6.2 maggy,loaded the maggy tune.Mine at the time 014 SLT DC 4x4 6.2 and good 93 octane tune,he got me by a truck length at 100mph,i got a vid too.maggy tune is weak,get a dyno tune right away.

His MPG went down,mine went up

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 02-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
buddys 014 denali 4x4 6.2 maggy,loaded the maggy tune.Mine at the time 014 SLT DC 4x4 6.2 and good 93 octane tune,he got me by a truck length at 100mph,i got a vid too.maggy tune is weak,get a dyno tune right away.

His MPG went down,mine went up
Totally agree with Gonzo on this, Mag tune sucks really bad. The blower doesn't!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Uggghhhh that’s what I was afraid to hear. Was all set on leaving it be but if it’s negligeable to my tuned na truck I’m going to be upset.

ill load it and see how bad it is but start looking for a good tuner using hp tuners in the mean time. Opinions on long tubes worth it with a blower and being tuned? I don’t want to trade lots of tq for high rpm power and read results all over the board on their greater or less impact with fi. I could care less about the sound improvements.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It will gain an off idle TQ feel you will like,,,dont F around just get headers pulley down a bit,get the tune call it a day.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 402 Likes on 317 Posts

^^^^ Right on the money there. My truck was pathetic with factory tune. Retune netted almost 80 more rwhp more than magnuson tune and pulley down got me to 485 rwhp. I did kooks headers and y pipe with custom exhaust as well, you need to uncork it...

You will have to have it dyno tuned, do not f around with mail order...
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

My headers only boosted upper rpm power, no loss in bottom end.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Alright, so going to get the blower on and running with the maggie tune next week. Then adding headers and a wideband sensor, and shooting a map to pat g to get me tuned remotely. At some point I'll get it on a dyno, assuming I ever drive to Seattle or maybe Spokane. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Teching In

OK got the blower on and their tune loaded. Transmission feels pretty bad, had a lew tune on the truck when it was NA so the shifting might be close to stock but unsure. Feel what might be a miss at high rpm too when it's stomped on. My mpg in the first 110 miles went to under 13 all highway. The next 110 that went up to 17.5 all highway. I had close to a full tank 10% ethanol oxygenated 91 gas in it initially, refilled after 100 at a bit over a half tank with 91 no ethanol non oxygenated. Driving habits were the same both ways, stomped on it to pass but that was it. 75mph avg. Not sure if it's the maggie tune, gas, computer relearning, or all of them causing such a weird variance in the mpg.

Haven't added headers or the wideband yet. Might have to go DIY, my mechanic won't put anything on there without keeping the cats in, and I want to retain cats too. As such, it's a ton of additional money for headers with a catted Y pipe, I saw kooks, arh, afe, and texas speed. Texas speed puts it hanging below the transmission cross member which I do not like and will definitely cause issues with how much my truck is off road. Was thinking of jba shorties to at least get gains but not lt header gains, and keep the stock y, but not sure where to put the wide band bung then since it goes before the cats, correct(?), and if at that point it's even worth messing with. Waiting on the pat g tune to get to me, if that is a night and day difference then maybe I'll just stop as is, but hate to not maximize what I could to.

Quick Reply: installing supercharger, how much am I leaving on the table