PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Homemade Turbo Kit (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/homemade-turbo-kit-398229/)

Jeff12 08-01-2007 09:10 PM

Homemade Turbo Kit

Im thinking of starting to build a custom turbo setup for my 2004 avalanche with 5.3. It will be front mounted with the stock minifolds converted into turbo manifolds. Ive been reading up about homemade kits from others on this forum and got a few pictures from sts (i know its rear mounted but for their oil supply). Ill just use universal tubing kits for the tubing to intercooler and turbo. I do need help deciding on what turbo to run. I do a lot of highway driving and i cruise around 2000-2300 rpm. What is a nice sized turbo that i can run that will spool at like 2500-3000 rpm? Any other pointers from people who've build their system?

Stoichiometric 08-01-2007 09:21 PM

I would talk to KBracing about one of his log manifolds. If I were to go front mount, that is exactly the way I would do it. You will not need a scavenge pump if you mount the turbo above the oil level in the pan. Anything between a 60 and 70 would work well depending on your goals. Trick makes a complete kit if you want to go that route.

Jeff12 08-01-2007 09:31 PM

Ok ill talk to him. I was just trying to piece it all together to see how much the difference would be. I am looking into a kit from trick as well. save me some time. does the kit have a warranty?

southern_chevy 08-01-2007 09:44 PM

I think that the manifold would be the hardest part to making one the rest is just routing everything around what is already there. But I have never done it so I dont know

TrickTurbo 08-01-2007 10:13 PM

Our kit comes with a 1 year warranty on all hot and cold parts against cracking. If any part developes a crack at a welded joint or just in the tubing, you ship that part to us on your dime, we will fix it, and return the part to you on our dime. We take pride in the welding of all joints. We also use 2 flex joints to allow the parts to flex and move around from heat cycling.

The manifold is an interested piece to build. It positons the turbo, which in-turn positions the starting postion of your downpipe. Which has to get around the crossover to get under the truck.

KBracing build his own, many people have. You will need to deside if you have the allowed time to, build, weld it out, and be back on the road.

I will try to help you anyway I can just give a shout.

Rick

kbracing96 08-01-2007 11:07 PM

If you have the time, tools and the skills, go for it! :) I can build a manifold, PM me if you want. But all I do is manifolds, I figure that's the hardest part to come by and something I can do. Building a cross over and down pipe aren't too hard and I didn't want to mess with building jigs and worrying about if everything would fit up from motor to motor.

Trick has a nice kit if you want to make it even easier on yourself. :)

gotboost30 08-01-2007 11:30 PM

Not really sure what your going for there a none I/C kit that will put down 500rwh. total destruction will happen or iam reading your ad wrong .were is the I/C why isnt it a complete kit some of these motors wont take much boost b4 they come apart with out some kind of cooling

Spoolin 08-02-2007 02:51 AM

:offtopic: for a second...

Thought it was pretty cool that Trick and KB both recognized each other's work! Much props to both of them for being professionals and not butt-hurt chicks who just realized the one night stand didn't mean we loved them. Another reason why I love this site, best of luck to both of them.

As far as the OP is concerned...I would actually suggest a smaller turbo than a 67mm, I'm thinking even a 60mm since you want real quick spool and instant boost during highway driving. That or get a 67mm and put a smaller A/R housing, like a .68 or something. Granted your top end HP numbers will hurt but your not out to find the highest numbers but the most useable power band.
Best of luck.

Lord Aries 08-02-2007 07:25 AM

I run a Precision Turbo on my Livernois Motorsports setup, 61mm Compressor and 81mm Turbine. Spools to 10lbs from a standing start by 2,800rpm and from a roll it's pretty much instant at ANY speed.

WJ MARK 08-02-2007 10:01 AM

If one had plenty of time, skill and patience building your own kit would be cool. Like most of us though time is hard to come by. I love my trick kit, It is tryed and true bolts on perfect with no hang ups. Trick also sell just hot pipes if you wanna fab up some stuff on your own. The best part of a kit is you put it on and go. Time is money. I still would not have it done if I built my own kit. I did build my intercooler though. Im using a 62-1 that came with the kit.

Good luck!