PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   heat exchanger modification (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/heat-exchanger-modification-552004/)

TXsilverado 03-07-2018 06:03 PM

heat exchanger modification

First, I have zero experience or knowledge on how a radiator or heat exchanger actually works, and I really don't care lol.

I'm looking at the frozenboost type 101 heat exchanger, but it comes with 1/2" female NPT threads. My entire coolant system for my blower is run in 12an. can I simply drill out the female threads and weld in a 12an male fitting, or am I over simplifying this? and when I say "I weld it in" I mean "I pay someone else to weld it in":rage:

Air to Water Heat Exchanger

Or, is it not worth my time worrying about the bottle neck and I should just slap an adapter in it and go....it seems like it defeats the expense of running all 12an lines through my overflow and to the blower.

arthursc2 03-07-2018 07:24 PM

I'd drill em out and get some -12 weld bungs. I charge $30/bung so I imagine welders in your area are close to that. I would def avoid the guys who charge aluminum by the inch hahaha.

TXsilverado 03-08-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5433274)
I'd drill em out and get some -12 weld bungs. I charge $30/bung so I imagine welders in your area are close to that. I would def avoid the guys who charge aluminum by the inch hahaha.

so it is actually as easy as drilling larger and welding in a bung? I wasn't sure if there was a tube running through it that would be the same size as the 1/2 female inlet/outlet.

arthursc2 03-08-2018 11:16 AM

Its a bar and plate cooler. The fluid doesnt flow in one tube, it flows in many. There is a divider mid way, horizontally that separates top from bottom. The cross over occurs on the opposite side from the fittings, and is driven primarily from the push/pull forces exerted by the pump.

Drill em out, cut em off, etc and -12 it

Red04Silverado 03-08-2018 12:21 PM

I have 2 of those coolers on my Maggie setup. Nice units!

BigKID 03-08-2018 01:25 PM

If there is enough meat on the bung, you can drill it out, retap and use a 3/4NPT to 12AN fitting. That is what I did for my coolant reservoir which originally had 1/2NPT bungs.

However, I would't fool with buying that HEX new and modifying it. Pay a little more and get a quality custom unit that will utilize the full frontal area you have available.

TrickTurbo 03-08-2018 01:26 PM

1/2npt fitting to -12 is dang close on the ID.

arthursc2 03-08-2018 01:40 PM

-12 is listed as .590 to .690, dependent on manufacturer.

1/2 NPT is NOMINALLY .500

I think its worth it to step up to -12 from 1/2NPT, versus just an adapter.

Does the benefit outweigh the cost since the OP has to buy bungs and pay a welder? Probably not.

Is there any appreciable benefit? Questionable

Would it help me sleep better at night? Absolutely.

I'd do it in a heart beat. If I was closer to the OP and shipping wasnt required, I'd weld them for him for free including machining out the old fitting.

TXsilverado 03-09-2018 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigKID (Post 5433329)
If there is enough meat on the bung, you can drill it out, retap and use a 3/4NPT to 12AN fitting. That is what I did for my coolant reservoir which originally had 1/2NPT bungs.

However, I would't fool with buying that HEX new and modifying it. Pay a little more and get a quality custom unit that will utilize the full frontal area you have available.

this pretty much utilizes the entire front area of my car. It's about the exact size of the grill on a 69 Camaro.

TXsilverado 03-09-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 5433332)
-12 is listed as .590 to .690, dependent on manufacturer.

1/2 NPT is NOMINALLY .500

I think its worth it to step up to -12 from 1/2NPT, versus just an adapter.

Does the benefit outweigh the cost since the OP has to buy bungs and pay a welder? Probably not.

Is there any appreciable benefit? Questionable

Would it help me sleep better at night? Absolutely.

I'd do it in a heart beat. If I was closer to the OP and shipping wasnt required, I'd weld them for him for free including machining out the old fitting.

LOL, that's basically my mentality. The exchanger is cheap enough for the size. $300 to my door. I didn't think to drill and tap. I think I'll save some money and take that route. There is plenty of meat to tap into on these exchangers.