PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Finally pinned my crank - A pictorial (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/finally-pinned-my-crank-pictorial-415160/)

KySilverado 04-01-2008 05:20 PM

Finally pinned my crank - A pictorial

6 Attachment(s)
People ask about it from time to time. Figured I'd post up my install.

I've had a crank pinning kit from Magnacharger for a long while. I've been procrastinating. Jumped into it today. I have never had any issue with spinning the pulley with my supercharger for 50K miles now but its cheap insurance.

Anybody that removes crank pullies on LSx engines with any frequency I highly recommend this Kent Moore tool to lock the flywheel. It makes removing and torquing the crank pulley bolt much easier.
Attachment 139848

Here is the picture of the kit. Includes a jig to align the holes, bolt to hold it, a bit to drill and a reamer to size them properly after drilling. Then of course the pins to put in after all is done.
Attachment 139849

Picture of the crank and pulley before starting. Of course the pulley bolt has been removed.
Attachment 139850

You then bolt on the jig and drill and ream the holes.
Attachment 139851

A shot of the pulley after the drill and ream job.
Attachment 139852

Then a shot after the pins have been put in.
Attachment 139853

After that its just a matter of putting a new crank bolt in and torquing to spec. Torque the bolt to 37 lb/ft then another 140 degrees of rotation.

Edit: Forgot to add. You need good blasts of compressed air between drilling, reaming and bolting up to clean all the shavings out.

Doobie 04-01-2008 05:34 PM

Kent Moore flywheel holding tool is nice to have. Money well spent in making bolt removal and install a lot easier. I hope to pin my crank this year too.
Nice pics and nice write up...thanks.:D

trever1t 04-01-2008 05:51 PM

Great write-up Roger!

blown3qtr 04-01-2008 06:00 PM

Nice write up! Great pics too!

trever1t 04-01-2008 06:01 PM

Oh.....you're just now doing this? :eek: :secret2:

KySilverado 04-01-2008 06:04 PM

I was a little worried about doing it to my truck. Couple weeks ago I helped a buddy do one in his GTO with a MP122. There isn't near as much room between the crank and radiator in a GTO. He had bought an angle drill but it wouldn't fit. Long story but due to time we tackled it drilling the holes with a die grinder. It took us 3-4 hours to drill them! No torque in a die grinder.

With the drill I used it literally took about 30 seconds per side to drill the holes. I was so happy!

KySilverado 04-01-2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by trever1t (Post 3888173)
Oh.....you're just now doing this? :eek: :secret2:

Yeah. Just now doing it. I have never had issue one with my truck as it was. I've had the pulley off probably 4 times for different things and no spin.

Silverad04 04-01-2008 06:44 PM

Ok i can understand why you would want to pin your crank but why does this kit make it easier to remove the bolt?

KySilverado 04-01-2008 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silverad04 (Post 3888215)
Ok i can understand why you would want to pin your crank but why does this kit make it easier to remove the bolt?

The pin kit doesn't make removing the bolt easier. The Kent Moore tool that you bolt in the place of the starter and locks the flywheel does. 1st pic.

XLR8NSS 04-01-2008 07:43 PM

I am going to buy one of those Kent Moore tools. I always get worried wedging a 1/2 breaker bar handle up in the inspection hole on the bellhousing. :D