PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Duramax intercooler with side mount whipple (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/duramax-intercooler-side-mount-whipple-511945/)

bowsman 12-19-2012 05:33 PM

Duramax intercooler with side mount whipple

I've got a 2003 3/4 ton with a 6.0 in it and I have a sidemount whipple charger to put on it. As you know these superchargers didnt come with an intercooler so I was looking at getting one from a duramax and doing what I can to custom fab the piping needed. Anybody every try this or could anyone recommend another intercooler that would work better?
And I also have an SS front bumper on it so I was also looking for recommendations as to where to mount the inter cooler. The duramax one should be a direct bolt in with little fab work needed for mounting.
I already have the marine injectors, electric fans and a water/meth kit ready to install whenever I get around to mounting the whipple.

I've seen people using walboro 255 fuel pumps. Anybody have a part number for this or a link. I'm having trouble finding the exact one needed.

M&M Turbochargers 12-21-2012 11:39 AM

Search Results for walbro 255 - SummitRacing.com

walbro 255

maybe of these would work???

03sierraslt 12-21-2012 11:46 AM

Search for a member here's posts, his screen name is Whippled 496. He attempted the duramax intercooler and didn't get favorable results. Just a FYI I have not seen anyone have good luck with this.

nonnieselman 12-21-2012 11:52 AM

Ive never done the swap so im goin off what i read..
but you gotta do something with a body lift? the intercooler fits with the dodomax cause their frames are diff or the factory body lift spaces it..

having the intercooler infront of you and a tape measure..

03sierraslt 12-21-2012 11:56 AM

I think Whippled 496 also had cooling issues once he swapped to the duramax rad and fans also.

AgFormula02 12-21-2012 09:09 PM

Change the outlet direction of the whipple and fab up piping for a a/a intercooler.

TURBHOE 12-22-2012 07:23 AM

The intercooler will fit in a 3/4 ton but you need the Dmax radiator. It wouldn't keep 496 whipples big block cool but with some good efans a 6.0 should be no problem. I would try to use a lbz radiator though. They are bigger than the older ones.

TURBHOE 12-22-2012 07:28 AM

The problem with the ss front bumper is the cover will be shorter. The frame on the 3/4 and 1 tons are taller hence stronger. That's where the extra distance comes from for the intercooler and why a 1/2 needs a front body lift to fit the Intercooler from a Dmax. The stock hd bumper covers are 2" taller to fill this gap. And the front grill is different.

4" frame vs 6" frame rails. The hd does NOT have a factory body lift. Just a way bigger frame.

bowsman 12-22-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replys so far guys. I read back on whippled496's posts and saw all the trouble he was having. I would think that my 6.0 would be alot easier to keep cool. Having already done the efan upgrade and loving the factory look of it, I might be inclined to go with an aftermarket intercooler if I have to change radiators at the same time.

Rethinking the situation after seeing the posts, I would think that mounting an aftermarket intercooler in the lower intake of the ss bumper and putting some electric fans the back side would help everything out by not blocking the original radiator and also by having a set of fans dedicated to the intercooler. I read some people concerned about the electric fan cycling times being based off the engine coolant temps instead of IAT which is what the concern is for the intercooler for the supercharger.

What do you guys think about this logic? Thanks again guys.

03sierraslt 12-22-2012 07:08 PM

My A2A did just fine without fans for what it's worth.

bowsman 12-22-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt (Post 5042230)
My A2A did just fine without fans for what it's worth.

You happen to remember where you got yours and what brand? If I dont go with the factory dmax(which it looks like I wont) I am open to some suggestions on what people have had success with. A2A or A2W.

Pocket 12-26-2012 09:48 AM

Ive used the big ebay FMIC's with success. See them on here frequently for centrifugal SC's and turbos

03sierraslt 12-26-2012 10:23 AM

The place I got mine is no longer in business, there are many options ranging from any of our site sponsors that sell intercoolers for Turbo's to ebay.

obs6ohh 01-05-2013 04:01 PM

im new here and i finally found someone with the same set up i have lol. i am woring on frmi my self. i have already modifiend the whipple fot the intercooler. i had some pipeing made so i can run the truck till i finish the panninf for the intercooler. i will post pics of my set up as soon as i figure out how to put pics.

03sierraslt 01-05-2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by obs6ohh (Post 5047702)
im new here and i finally found someone with the same set up i have lol. i am woring on frmi my self. i have already modifiend the whipple fot the intercooler. i had some pipeing made so i can run the truck till i finish the panninf for the intercooler. i will post pics of my set up as soon as i figure out how to put pics.

Welcome to the site, not trying to be mean but maybe you should type slower. I am not sure what you mean in a couple of your sentences.

bowsman 01-05-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt (Post 5047721)
Welcome to the site, not trying to be mean but maybe you should type slower. I am not sure what you mean in a couple of your sentences.

LOL He's just excited to find a great site like this. I was the same way when I first got on here and found people were so willing to help and share their expensive mistakes so I dont have to go through the same trial and error.

obs6ohh 01-05-2013 05:19 PM

lol sorry lol

03sierraslt 01-05-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bowsman (Post 5047723)
LOL He's just excited to find a great site like this. I was the same way when I first got on here and found people were so willing to help and share their expensive mistakes so I dont have to go through the same trial and error.

Oh there is no doubt you can learn from others mistakes on here.

obs6ohh 01-05-2013 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
lol ok heres my set up. its a lq9 with side mount 2.3 whipple with 2 shots of meth. hell fire rings gaped for boost. poreted 317s with tbss intake. custom ground boost came fbo. with a pt 3200 yank and a built 4l80e with a trutrac out back 411s narrowed with mossor axels and caltracs.

Attachment 122769
Attachment 122770

obs6ohh 01-05-2013 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 122766
Attachment 122767
Attachment 122768

AgFormula02 01-06-2013 10:05 AM

Nice set up. Very similar to mine.
Be careful with your timing.
Lq9 and 7-8 pounds of boost ( Based on the pulley I see)
And no intercooler is not a good thing.
The intercooler will help a lot. Specially in those spots where you are in low boost for long periods of time without meth. (Like towing or going up a hill)

AgFormula02 01-06-2013 10:09 AM

I also like the idea of the TBSS swap. The way you modded the whipple and not having to do a straight discharge to the manifold (and not using the whipple elbow that replaces the TB) does open up some options.

Next, find a way to upgrade the intake side of the whipple.
I got a custom intake made that also fit a 90mm TB.
Made a huge difference. The area leading to the rotors is a huge restriction on the side mounts.

obs6ohh 01-06-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AgFormula02 (Post 5047921)
Nice set up. Very similar to mine.
Be careful with your timing.
Lq9 and 7-8 pounds of boost ( Based on the pulley I see)
And no intercooler is not a good thing.
The intercooler will help a lot. Specially in those spots where you are in low boost for long periods of time without meth. (Like towing or going up a hill)

well i definatly wont be towing any thing lol or goin uphill lol its only a weekend truck. ass for no meth on low boost i got my controller coming on at 60% meth at 4lbs and 100% at 7lbs. i had this pulley made at a place in conroe tx called asp pulleys. custom made. whipple dont make these pulleys any mor so i sent them a pic of the pulley and they had a program alredy made for this pully they made the diamitor a lil smaller. 190 bucks not bad

AgFormula02 01-06-2013 12:04 PM

Biggest issue I run into is going up into the mountains and making low boost. (1-3 pounds)
IATs go up and stay up as long as you are going up hill.
I pick up some random knock there.

I have 4 pulleys ranging from 4 1/8 down to 2 15/16ths.

bowsman 01-07-2013 03:08 AM

lol ok heres my set up. its a lq9 with side mount 2.3 whipple with 2 shots of meth. hell fire rings gaped for boost. poreted 317s with tbss intake. custom ground boost came fbo. with a pt 3200 yank and a built 4l80e with a trutrac out back 411s narrowed with mossor axels and caltracs.

You do the fab work on the discharge side of the whipple and intake adapter or did you have that done? I'd be interested in paying someone to fab up those pieces for me with these nice pictures to use as a model.

obs6ohh 01-07-2013 10:38 AM

no i got someone to do it. a guy name zach from daily gring fabrictions. if u google it he has also on the inlet side of the whipple also

AgFormula02 01-07-2013 12:52 PM

http://tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51652

Zack is also who made the custom intake for my whipple.
Made a huge difference.

bowsman 01-08-2013 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by AgFormula02 (Post 5048348)
Modded Whipple intake pics 78 to 90mm intake - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum

Zack is also who made the custom intake for my whipple.
Made a huge difference.

Either of you guys got a phone number or email? I'm having trouble finding anything online.

76dimepc 04-09-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by obs6ohh (Post 5047735)

about how much did fabrication of supercharger set you back I have one I’m putting in my 76 want to plumb an intercooler so I can run more boost