PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Duramax intercooler with side mount whipple (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/duramax-intercooler-side-mount-whipple-511945/)

bowsman 12-19-2012 05:33 PM

Duramax intercooler with side mount whipple

I've got a 2003 3/4 ton with a 6.0 in it and I have a sidemount whipple charger to put on it. As you know these superchargers didnt come with an intercooler so I was looking at getting one from a duramax and doing what I can to custom fab the piping needed. Anybody every try this or could anyone recommend another intercooler that would work better?
And I also have an SS front bumper on it so I was also looking for recommendations as to where to mount the inter cooler. The duramax one should be a direct bolt in with little fab work needed for mounting.
I already have the marine injectors, electric fans and a water/meth kit ready to install whenever I get around to mounting the whipple.

I've seen people using walboro 255 fuel pumps. Anybody have a part number for this or a link. I'm having trouble finding the exact one needed.

M&M Turbochargers 12-21-2012 11:39 AM

Search Results for walbro 255 - SummitRacing.com

walbro 255

maybe of these would work???

03sierraslt 12-21-2012 11:46 AM

Search for a member here's posts, his screen name is Whippled 496. He attempted the duramax intercooler and didn't get favorable results. Just a FYI I have not seen anyone have good luck with this.

nonnieselman 12-21-2012 11:52 AM

Ive never done the swap so im goin off what i read..
but you gotta do something with a body lift? the intercooler fits with the dodomax cause their frames are diff or the factory body lift spaces it..

having the intercooler infront of you and a tape measure..

03sierraslt 12-21-2012 11:56 AM

I think Whippled 496 also had cooling issues once he swapped to the duramax rad and fans also.

AgFormula02 12-21-2012 09:09 PM

Change the outlet direction of the whipple and fab up piping for a a/a intercooler.

TURBHOE 12-22-2012 07:23 AM

The intercooler will fit in a 3/4 ton but you need the Dmax radiator. It wouldn't keep 496 whipples big block cool but with some good efans a 6.0 should be no problem. I would try to use a lbz radiator though. They are bigger than the older ones.

TURBHOE 12-22-2012 07:28 AM

The problem with the ss front bumper is the cover will be shorter. The frame on the 3/4 and 1 tons are taller hence stronger. That's where the extra distance comes from for the intercooler and why a 1/2 needs a front body lift to fit the Intercooler from a Dmax. The stock hd bumper covers are 2" taller to fill this gap. And the front grill is different.

4" frame vs 6" frame rails. The hd does NOT have a factory body lift. Just a way bigger frame.

bowsman 12-22-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replys so far guys. I read back on whippled496's posts and saw all the trouble he was having. I would think that my 6.0 would be alot easier to keep cool. Having already done the efan upgrade and loving the factory look of it, I might be inclined to go with an aftermarket intercooler if I have to change radiators at the same time.

Rethinking the situation after seeing the posts, I would think that mounting an aftermarket intercooler in the lower intake of the ss bumper and putting some electric fans the back side would help everything out by not blocking the original radiator and also by having a set of fans dedicated to the intercooler. I read some people concerned about the electric fan cycling times being based off the engine coolant temps instead of IAT which is what the concern is for the intercooler for the supercharger.

What do you guys think about this logic? Thanks again guys.

03sierraslt 12-22-2012 07:08 PM

My A2A did just fine without fans for what it's worth.