Does your turbo spin at idle?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Kyle!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first installed my MP70, it didn't spin at idle either. After owning 6-7 turbo cars, I figured this MP turbo was crap. I even gave it a couple good spins, but it would be spinning so slow you could count the blades. However, after a few days and some miles on it, boosting from time to time, it spins much better now.

I have since ran over 15psi on it and around 10k miles, it spins better now then ever. Good luck though.

Worth noting, my dual BB turbo's I've owned spinned forever after shutdown (1-2 minutes), while my journal bearing turbos make it a good 15-30 seconds.

Also, nice truck black04!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it unless your turbo is making noise or doesn't make boost. My T76 BB didn't spin at idle when it was on the sts kit but it ran great. When I moved it up front it would spin some times and then some times it wouldn't. My mp70 spins like crazy at idle when I have it on though. Forced Inductions just put a new exhaust seal in my t76 and said that there was nothing else wrong with it.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i drove it around and it was making boost so it seems to be working well. I'm still driving it with the whipple tune so i havent gone wot but i got 3 - 4 psi in.

Another question i have is about compresser surge. It seems that if i go to 1psi or more and let off i get a flutter sound. Is that normal? I have a tial bov but its still fluttering.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya, that's pretty normal unless you put a really light spring in the BOV. There isn't enough boost to over come the spring and help the vac open the valve. Minor compressor surge won't hurt anything.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm what would you consider minor surge? I've never owned a turbo vehicle before so i'm not sure what would be considered minor and major. I think it flutters about 4 - 5 times but i could be off.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

To be honest, I don't think we could ever hurt a turbo at the boost levels we run. I think you would have be up in the 30-60+ psi range and surge it HARD to actual damage anything. Under 20psi and I think it would be dang hard to actually hurt anything. A few flutters is pretty much the norm on these type of setups unless you put a way soft spring in the BOV. The it would be open all the time unless your in boost and that's not so good if you don't have a filter on it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
A few flutters is pretty much the norm on these type of setups unless you put a way soft spring in the BOV. The it would be open all the time unless your in boost and that's not so good if you don't have a filter on it.
Sorry for being dense but I've never understood why anyone would put a filter on a BPV/BOV other than to quiet down the "whoosh" noise. At idle or under cruise, the turbo(s) are spinning and making boost, the bypass/BOV is open and air is rushing out open, releasing the boost. I have put may hand over my BPV at idle and it's blowing air. Under what conditions would it suck in air?

Rick
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

There could be conditions with large turbos or other things where there is not a positive pressure in the cold side piping when the BOV is open. IMO, better safe then sorry.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
There could be conditions with large turbos or other things where there is not a positive pressure in the cold side piping when the BOV is open. IMO, better safe then sorry.
I guess if your turbo isn't spinning at idle you could be a non-boost condition. I would imagine the TB blades closed about 95% at idle would make the boost guage show vacuum even if the turbo is pressurizing the cold side so if you build a kit without a BOV/BPV, are you always under boost in the cold side piping? It would be interesting to run a 2nd boost gauge on the cold piping side of the TB and see the results.

It seems like a majority it turbo kits run the standard Tial BOV. Are those kits letting unfiltered air into their engines on a regular basis?

Sorry OP for getting off-topic...

RB

Last edited by Rick_Vor; 08-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does your turbo spin at idle?