FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS kit: Spraying oil all over engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS kit: Spraying oil all over engine compartment

It only happens under boost. When I rev it parked I have no oil spraying out. Above my oil filler tube on the insulation material on the underside of the hood is about a 12" spot where oil is spraying up. The center of the circle corresponds to the oil filler tube. I was thinking the PCV dohickey that comes in the STS kit failed and I am pressurizing my crankcase at boost. I also thought maybe the quick connect on the oil return failed, but wouldn't that be leaking even at idle and not just on the boost? I was also talking to the shop that did the install and they said I could have also broken a piston land or blown a head gasket??? I have no water in my oil and I am code free on the idiot light. The motor seems to run fine. My question is can I run a oil catch can instead of having the pcv go back into the intake? Has anyone done this? If so can I get pics? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

How long have you had your kit on?
Is this the first time its happened?
Do you have all the lines for the dohickey on the right connections?

I know I get a little residual oil in mine but nothing for me to worry about.
The filter supplied by STS for the dohickey is good for ****. I put a small filter on a hose there instead. I'll post pics if needed.

I don't think I'd even drive it till you get it fixed, that is a major fire hazard IMO.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going out in a couple minutes to rip into it. I live 5 miles from work and its all city streets, so I can drive it and not boost at all. The first time it sprayed oil the lines to the dohickey blew off, so then I hose clamped them. That worked for a month and a half, now this new problem. I have only had the kit for 3 months. So far I like the kit, just these little problems pissing me off.
Another thing for you guys who live in a dusty area, get rid of your K&N. I go the desert regularly and I just cleaned my filter and I had dust inside the turbo. If you are have heard of UNI filters, its a 2 stage foam filter that works well in dusty applications. Midas sells them for cars and they have cone filters. UNI makes them, but I think Midas calls them True Flow.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I have hose on my filler neck crankcase vent tube and I run that down the front side of my engine into a coke bottle. I just let pressure vent oil spray there. It's not often for me but if do a 0 to 100mph run then I'll get some spray.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Is the filter still in the filter holder on the PCV Bypass valve? On my system the filter used to blow out under boost and it would spray a little oil around under boost. it will spray in the direction that the filter holder is aimed and the fan will blow it around causing drops of oil to be all over. I use a ty-wrap to hold it in now.

You can test the PCV Bypass. With the engine running, use a jumper wire to jump across the terminals of the Pressure Switch on the passenger side of the intake manifold. You should hear the oil pump get louder and should be able to feel the PCV Switch Valve click. If the Switch Valve clicks then the PCV Bypass should be working venting crank case pressure to the atmosphere and preventing boost from backfeeding into the sump from the intake manifold on the passenger side.

Also check the condition of the PCV valve on the driver's side of the engine. A bad valve will let boost into the crank case.

Also check your compression to make sure that you have not damaged a piston ring land and are leaking alot of compression into the crank case.

You may be able to plug the nipple near the throttle body and run a catch can or filter vented to the atmosphere but I am not sure how well this will work compared to the intake manifold sucking during vacuum under part throttle operation.

TG02Z71 - I would like information on the filter you found to replace the one supplied by STS. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

TG02Z71 - I would like information on the filter you found to replace the one supplied by STS. Thanks. [/QUOTE]

Got it out of Summit. Its really a crankcase breather for a bike.
I'll take a pic at lunch and post it up.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Here you go Mort.
And yes, I know it looks like an octopuss is humping my engine

Old 01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

At lunch I disconnected the PCV switch valve and blocked off the nipple on the intake. Took her for a test drive and no oil blowing everywhere. I am still going to run that jumper to see if it activating or not and also see if I might have a loose wire somewhere. When I was driving through the mountains the other day I was consistently getting KR around 3-4 and sometimes as high as 5.5 going uphill under boost. It also threw the Multiple Cylinder Misfires code at me and Mass Airflow Sensor low voltage or something. If I did break a piston land how would I know besides a compression test? Would the motor run any differently? I reset the codes and have been fine for a few days now. Also what should the compression be for a 2002 5.3 with 70,000 miles?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Here you go Mort.
And yes, I know it looks like an octopuss is humping my engine
Thanks TG02Z71. That looks like a good little vent filter. I am going to check around for one. You got room for more stuff in there yet.

I see you mounted your boost control under the hood. Looks like a good place for it.

TurboAv - If you do disconnect your PCV bypass you need to let the valve cover vent breath to the atmosphere. You also need to leave the Hoobs (?) switch connected to the intake so the the switch will put the oil return pump on high speed when you are under boost. Just block off the exit from the hoobs switch instead of the intake nipple. The switch opens when it senses boost and actives the PCV Bypass to vent to the atmosphere and switches the oil return pump to high speed at the same time. No matter what the Hoobs switch needs to be working so check it out.
Sorry I cannot help you with the codes. I would stay out of boost until you figure out why you are getting KR and misfire codes. I am not sure what the compression readings should be but 150 -180 psi might be the range. You will definately know if one or two are low by more that 10%. I am not sure if you can feel the loss in power or not from low compression in just one cylinder so you might not be able to notice a problem until it gets severe.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I got the oil shower when I cracked a piston. The boost pushed through the piston into the crankcase and blew out my dipstick and broke the seal in the oil return cap. 12 psi on stock pistons is a no-no.

Quick Reply: STS kit: Spraying oil all over engine compartment