PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   Boosted lq4 first run (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/boosted-lq4-first-run-554974/)

vipergtrdj 03-24-2019 09:32 PM

Boosted lq4 first run

Recently finished my build, well getting it in the truck and moving around. 2002 LQ4, 706 heads w/ 2.0 in valves 1.55 ex, TR6 spark plugs, stock cam, LS7 lifters, 7.35" pushrods, GM 12499224 blue valve springs, HVHP oil pump, 80lb injectors, ebay GT45 turbo, 60mm wastegate w/ 12psi spring, 50mm blow off valve, front mount intercooler (2.5" piping). Using HPTuners to tune.
Hot side piping - flipped truck manifolds with 2.5" crossover to turbo, EGT after Cyl 7 on crossover pipe, 3.5" downpipe, WB02 is 18" from turbo.
Wastegate is set to 12psi, and I checked all vacuum lines, everything is sourced to a vacuum block coming off the intake manifold. BOV, Wastegate (fitting on side, top is atmospheric vented), fuel pressure regulator, boost gauge.

On a test drive the max boost I could get was 4psi at 3800rpms.
From my logs it looks like it starts spooling up around 3000rpms, at 3800rpms and 4psi its showing knock so I backed off, WB02 shows 12.37 cmd is 12.05. It started to pull timing but tune is set to 13 degrees. Also, cylinder airmass shows 1.35 which is higher then in the spark tables. Max Airmass is 1.20 in the spark tables.
Another log shows 100% throttle, 4400rpms, wb 12.06 cmd 12.05, no knock, max 3psi. EGT were around 900 cruising to 1100 WOT.
Should it be commanding richer then that at 80% throttle ? I am no expert in tuning but want to give it a shot.

Also - I read that a single GT45 spools up quickly on a LQ4, 3k seems a bit laggy. I can hear the turbo around 2k rpms but doesn't build boost till 3-3200. Anything I should check for the laggy boost or is it normal? What am I missing? I checked pre-turbo exhaust pipe and no leaks. I will check the intake side tomorrow with a boost leak tester. Thanks for any suggestions.

FFDP 03-24-2019 10:02 PM

12.0 afr at low boost isn't bad, I'd probably want mid 11's by 5psi and slightly more fuel by 8-10+ psi depending on timing and what fuel it was running.

Do you have a log and tune file to post up?

Seeing how everything is setup will help with getting things squared away. Also maxing out the cylinder airmass is really common because it doesn't go really high. Some will scale the tune by half to gain resolution back and others just deal with it.

vipergtrdj 03-25-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5459588)
12.0 afr at low boost isn't bad, I'd probably want mid 11's by 5psi and slightly more fuel by 8-10+ psi depending on timing and what fuel it was running.

Do you have a log and tune file to post up?

Seeing how everything is setup will help with getting things squared away. Also maxing out the cylinder airmass is really common because it doesn't go really high. Some will scale the tune by half to gain resolution back and others just deal with it.

I will post the tune and a log after work today. I also noticed cold idle oil pressure is 45-50psi, and on throttle at 3500rpms it's around 60psi. Once its hot it doesnt move from 40psi, idle, cruising, WOT. Now once it cools down again, it's fine until it's hot. I'm running 5w30 but thinking of switching to 15w40 I searched and found a lot of boosted lq4s running 15w40.

vipergtrdj 03-25-2019 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a log from yesterday. I will post tune tonight.

FFDP 03-25-2019 12:28 PM

Your boost data is being partly skewed because you are logging two different MAP channels. You can only log the 2 bar channel, remove the 1 bar channel because it maxed out at 105kpa. It will make the your charts read like half of what it's really is.

Like at one point you 1 bar is reading 105kpa, the 2 bar is readings 141kpa. The charts then only shows 115kpa. You did hit 6psi at one point. Also remove all your MAF channels, you do not need/want those when tuning speed density.

The wideband in your log doesn't seem to be working.

15W40 may be a little thick for start up but it's not bad. 5W40 would work as well.

vipergtrdj 03-25-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5459622)
Your boost data is being partly skewed because you are logging two different MAP channels. You can only log the 2 bar channel, remove the 1 bar channel because it maxed out at 105kpa. It will make the your charts read like half of what it's really is.

Like at one point you 1 bar is reading 105kpa, the 2 bar is readings 141kpa. The charts then only shows 115kpa. You did hit 6psi at one point. Also remove all your MAF channels, you do not need/want those when tuning speed density.

The wideband in your log doesn't seem to be working.

15W40 may be a little thick for start up but it's not bad. 5W40 would work as well.

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention the wideband is wired through the egr. I will remove the MAF channels and only log the map 2 bar channel. I will be checking for leaks when I get home, made up my tester today.

Resolute_welding 03-25-2019 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by vipergtrdj (Post 5459651)
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention the wideband is wired through the egr. I will remove the MAF channels and only log the map 2 bar channel. I will be checking for leaks when I get home, made up my tester today.

Have you accounted for AFR voltage error? There's a couple of good videos and write ups on making a graph with user math equations? Sorry, I'm on my mobile and haven't pulled up your file if you have one present.

vipergtrdj 03-25-2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Resolute_welding (Post 5459681)
Have you accounted for AFR voltage error? There's a couple of good videos and write ups on making a graph with user math equations? Sorry, I'm on my mobile and haven't pulled up your file if you have one present.

No problem, I'm on my mobile too lol. Yes I did the math equation according to wideband manufacturers instruction. Hptuners matches the wideband gauge in terms of AFR.
I also found a few boost leaks when I did my pressure test. I need to find orings for the 80lb injectors, they leak air with boost on the bottom oring (intake side). No fuel leaks abe the rail side doesnt leak at all.

megabuddys 03-31-2019 02:11 AM

Unless I am blind, I saw no mention of what Trans and converter. If you're running a stock converter there is half your problem. Post what you have.

LY666 03-31-2019 04:24 PM

I built a 2002 turbo 6ltr 2500 Silverado 4x4 last fall, and have been tuning it with hptuners.
What I've found is if the ve table isn't dialed in properly (too rich), you will run off the end of the timing table at a lot less boost than the table should handle. It would be interesting to see your current tune file.
When I've run off the end of the table, I've logged some really low timing advance. It doesn't seem to just flat line at the last cell value in the chart. This was when I had the ve adding more fuel, trying to be safe while tuning boost. I leaned things off and got back onto the spark base timing table. This is at about 8psi boost.
I try to log any multipliers that can influence the timing. There's a lot more than you'd think until you really dig around, including what the transmission is commanding. Have you looked at the afr spark base correction tables? Hptuners tabs are, spark, advance, then click on any of the tables under base corrections...there's lots of stuff going on.
Low timing advance that continues to retard, will make poor power and look like you have boost creep problems. If you enable torque reduction during shifts, you'll see it pull timing and boost creep up while the shift is happening, then boost drops back down once the timing advance is added back in.

Afr multipliers can screw with your ve table tuning process. I zero them out and tune it during normal atmospheric conditions and operating temps, then bring them back into play once I'm happy enough with the ve table. The multipliers will need tweaking then, to get the afr where you want it either side of normal operating temps etc.
I think it's also worth verifying your injector flow data. What I did is warm the truck up, command open loop, reset long term fuel trims and shut off short term trims, let it idle for a couple minutes, then log the afr while idling. After that, add 10% to the ve cells you logged, and repeat the process. If your flow data is correct, you should see a true 10% richer afr....If not, tweak the injector flow table until you get the 10% change in your idle logs. You can also just add the 10% while running, using the real time tuning enhancement, if you have that. I read about doing this test on the hptuners forum, and it was really helpful, as I use decapped stock injectors that I flow tested myself.
This will make dialing in your ve table a lot easier, if you are using afr error charts in your scanner to make corrections. You'll chase your tale if the flow data is off even a relatively small amount.