PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   FORCED INDUCTION (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/)
-   -   5.3L to an 8.1L this winter.:) (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/5-3l-8-1l-winter-429751/)

Whippled 496 11-29-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by phasemaster1 (Post 4064650)
Looking forward to see torque numbers that 496 will put downof couse with the FI . How heavy is the 496?

(Big single)

'bout 750lbs i think.

500lbs of rwtq can be obtained fairly easily on just a tune and a little over 6lbs of intercooled F/I. I cant imagine it would be to tough to get 700lbs of tq to the rear wheels with a built bottom end, good set of heads, cam, LT's, and 8-10lbs of F/I. Maybe pop a little N2O on there too in case a Viper pulls up beside you..LOL.

TrickTurbo 11-29-2008 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by WJ MARK (Post 4064639)
might as well do the conversion kit for the swap into the 1/2 tons. Ive never looked at a BB up close, mounting brackets for motor mounts etc... might be a good idea. not to many RCSB trucks runnin around with BB's

that is one of the options for us. Most trucks will already have or will have intensions of doing the 80e so no worries there. Driveline will be fine, you have to have traction to break things and just do not see that happening on the street. Front end might need some springs, but the extra weight will lower the front end a little.

TrickTurbo 11-29-2008 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496 (Post 4064649)
Not to many indeed....let me see, I can only think of........... NONE that i know of :). Once the suspention, trany, drive shaft and accesories are worked out, it shouldnt be too bad :). Dont the 2500HDs have a couple of inches in body lift on the 1/2 tons? Isnt the BB a tall block motor? I wonder if there will be any clearance issues? I know the radiators are 4 inches wider (need more water to cool that sucker)....I am sure there are other things too, i just cant think right now.

yea the HD stuff has a 2" body lift from the factory. Not to worried I think the overall height of the engines is close enough to get it all under a stock hood or at least a cowl. The heater hose area looks like it will be little tight.
We have to build a new engine stand for the 6.0L in those pictures. Figure we can use that one, once built to compare the 8.1 to the 6.0's mounting locations. And then build new mounts or whatever I am about to get into.

I am thinking there are going to be some long nights of :bang: and :confused: before its all done. LOL

phasemaster1 11-29-2008 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496 (Post 4064661)
'bout 750lbs i think.

500lbs of rwtq can be obtained fairly easily on just a tune and a little over 6lbs of intercooled F/I. I cant imagine it would be to tough to get 700lbs of tq to the rear wheels with a built bottom end, good set of heads, cam, LT's, and 8-10lbs of F/I. Maybe pop a little N2O on there too in case a Viper pulls up beside you..LOL.

700+ easy

Whippled 496 11-29-2008 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts (Post 4064674)
I am thinking there are going to be some long nights of :bang: and :confused: before its all done. LOL

I am sure there will be. Core support is taller and the radiator is taller and wider. Are you gonna put the A/C kit back on it? I dont know how the fram rails and body are different from the 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks but I am sure thats something you will figure out soon enough. Man i wished i lived closer to your shop...I would love to see this progression in person. Have you decided if your going to rework the stock heads or look for a set from Raylar? LT's are gonna be a tight fit in there too. Man thats gonna be a sick truck.

TrickTurbo 11-30-2008 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496 (Post 4064677)
I am sure there will be. Core support is taller and the radiator is taller and wider. Are you gonna put the A/C kit back on it? I dont know how the fram rails and body are different from the 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks but I am sure thats something you will figure out soon enough. Man i wished i lived closer to your shop...I would love to see this progression in person. Have you decided if your going to rework the stock heads or look for a set from Raylar? LT's are gonna be a tight fit in there too. Man thats gonna be a sick truck.

Heck you live closer see in person no way, I would get to help install and figure some stuff out. LOL

Going to keep the same Radiator I have now for the time. This truck will never pull a trailer so not to worried about getting hot. Unless the 8.1 cooling is different. all summer I did not even have fans on the 5.3 never got over 200 even idling for 15mins or so.
Not sure about the ac compressor but where I live AC is a must in the summer. So that will have to hooked back up.
The heads will be staying stock. The first rodeo will leave all parts in a stock form. I want to get it installed and started to confirm all the elctrical stuff is working. The knock sensors are different on the 8.1 compared to the lSX engines.
Going with an 80e its already laying in the floor, got it with the 6.0L a little time back. So I know we will be moving the tranny crossmember to compensate.
? Is going to an 80e a direct swap over or is there a different harness for that?
Once the truck is running then the engine will be yanked, and gone through. Nothing too wild, just freshed up, forge piston, and maytbe a new cam and springs. The heads ae where I still spend the most time on, porting the old stockers.:D Have to keep this with a budget.:nod:

zippy 11-30-2008 08:28 PM

There actually are 2 that I know of with 8.1L's in them. The easiest way to do it though would be with an 85E and wiring harness from a Suburban or Avalanche. The HD frame was made to be 2" taller due to the Allison transmission. Don't run that turd and you won't need the taller frame. Just find a Suburban or Avalanche to get the mounting and other info from.

silveradol33 11-30-2008 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Whippled 496 (Post 4064677)

Body is the same, as is the core support. The frame is 2 inches taller to make room for the allison. Like Zippy said get the 80e and ur all set, although it does require a different harness to the trans for the second vss. Should be a cool swap! Good luck!

TieRod 11-30-2008 10:01 PM

Just add 2 wires to the 60e wiring harness, a reflash and your good to go. The harness in the truck should work. You will need to extend the wires for the knock sensors but they are the same sensors. They're on the side of the block instead of in the valley. The cam sensor is on the front cover like a LS2.

James B. 12-01-2008 12:28 AM

It's always nice to see some love for the Big Blocks.