FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Thinking about adding a Turbo, I need some basics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thinking about adding a Turbo, I need some basics...

Well lately I have been thinking about the direction I wanna go with my truck... I thought about the whole engine swap, cam swap, New Verter, etc... All that stuff really does not excite me that much, I like to build stuff so I have been thinking about building a tubro kit for my truck.. All the fab and pipe work I can handle so no problems there, actually that is the funniest part and I have been doing exhaust work for years. I just need to know a basically parts list of major items i need.

I know I need a turbo, intercooler and Meth, and I can research the size on that stuff. Blow off valves, bypass valve, wastegates, and boost controlers I have now clue about these so I will need an education on those. As far as tuning I know I will need injectors and maybe new fuel pump. Tuning I can handle and research so no problem there.. ZO6 cam and LS6 springs are a proven performer and cheap...

I am not looking to build a 10 sec monster, maybe low 13's or high 12's with the 4.8.. So anyone got some advice, tips, etc.... I am looking at the summer time frame to do the build...

I know the tranny is a POS, so when and if it goes I will address that....
Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. You could also get hot parts from trick. I would go with rick's kit and build a custom intercooler. I don't think the intercooler piping would be too hard, but I have access to a pipe bender. If you can fab the hot parts that would save you a ton.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by Leroy_454
Sounds like a good plan. You could also get hot parts from trick. I would go with rick's kit and build a custom intercooler. I don't think the intercooler piping would be too hard, but I have access to a pipe bender. If you can fab the hot parts that would save you a ton.
Trick does make a nice product, but like I said I like building my own stuff. Making the hot parts won't be hard, just a little time consuming... I just plan on buying a bunch of mandrel bends and make it myself... I am leaning towards a rear mount setup just for the visual emission testing...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Ya a rear mount wouldn't be bad at all. Would have to have an oil pump setup to return to the engine. I'm not exactly sure on all the wastegate and blowoff valve stuff either.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Resident Retard

After researching a little bit, I think the recommended housing for a rear mount on a 4.8 is .68 for a quicker spool time... Also I found a couple of turbos that look interesting... 60-1 .68 and a 62-1 .70.... Is there any real difference to either one of these? What does the XX-1 mean and .XX, what are the effects on spool time and High RPM...
I need the T4 flange correct? What about a split flange?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The 60-1 is a 60mm inlet on the compressor and a 62-1 is a 62mm inlet on the compressor. They are pretty much the same turbo, just made by 2 different manufacturers. That's a great size for a 4.8 along with the .68 exhaust housing. 38mm wastegate is plenty for a setup like that. I have a Tial on my from the STS, but have used the cheep ones from ebay on other build's and had good luck with them, just make sure the valve moves freely in the gate before you install them.

If your going to go remote mount style, mount it as close to the front as you can and still wrap the pipes to it. If you need to know what oil return pump to use PM me and I give the link to the same pump the STS use, but much cheaper. Any question, feel free to ask, or pm me
Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by kbracing96
The 60-1 is a 60mm inlet on the compressor and a 62-1 is a 62mm inlet on the compressor. They are pretty much the same turbo, just made by 2 different manufacturers. That's a great size for a 4.8 along with the .68 exhaust housing. 38mm wastegate is plenty for a setup like that. I have a Tial on my from the STS, but have used the cheep ones from ebay on other build's and had good luck with them, just make sure the valve moves freely in the gate before you install them.

If your going to go remote mount style, mount it as close to the front as you can and still wrap the pipes to it. If you need to know what oil return pump to use PM me and I give the link to the same pump the STS use, but much cheaper. Any question, feel free to ask, or pm me
Thanks for the response!!! 60-1 and .68 is the turbo and 38mm wastegate. Do I need a BOV?

Pipe size question now.... I will be using Stock Exhaust manifolds..
Hot side.. 2.5 from manifolds into 3.0 pipe then into the turbo then 3.0 to the tailpipe

Charge pipe/cold side. 2.5 from the turbo outlet into the IC, the 3.0 for the outlet of the turbo into the TB?

Sound good?

to 2.5 pipe, then merge into 3.0 pipe into the turbo then
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Thanks for the response!!! 60-1 and .68 is the turbo and 38mm wastegate. Do I need a BOV?

Pipe size question now.... I will be using Stock Exhaust manifolds..
Hot side.. 2.5 from manifolds into 3.0 pipe then into the turbo then 3.0 to the tailpipe

Charge pipe/cold side. 2.5 from the turbo outlet into the IC, the 3.0 for the outlet of the turbo into the TB?

Sound good?

to 2.5 pipe, then merge into 3.0 pipe into the turbo then
Sounds good, but wouldn't hurt anything to make it 2.5 or just use the 2.75 stock hot pipes to the turbo.

I would put a blow off on it, it keeps the turbo from surging when you let off the throttle and making that funny woop, woop, woop, anger turkey noise.

For the cold side I usually run 2 1/2 from the compressor to the intercooler, then 3 from the cooler to the TB
Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Sounds good, but wouldn't hurt anything to make it 2.5 or just use the 2.75 stock hot pipes to the turbo.

I would put a blow off on it, it keeps the turbo from surging when you let off the throttle and making that funny woop, woop, woop, anger turkey noise.

For the cold side I usually run 2 1/2 from the compressor to the intercooler, then 3 from the cooler to the TB
Cool! Thanks for all the answers!! Hopefully soon (couple of months) I will be boosted!!! I am sure I will have more questions but that should at least get me started ordering parts...
Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Damn you arent playing around now lol....when you get this done you gotta take me for a ride!

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding a Turbo, I need some basics...