FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2015 5.3L Silverado procharged. Blow by vs major problem?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 5.3L Silverado procharged. Blow by vs major problem?

Initially the issue was related to a factory defect in a rocker arm (bubble defect in the metal) causing it to flex at first impacting valve travel and eventually snap. They fixed it and I had the truck re-tuned at a pro shop.

Since the tune I have been getting occasional CELs for "lean bank 1" and "lean bank 2". Since it was pro tuned I've largely ignored these as the CEL will clear itself after a day or two and only occurs every few weeks. No biggie, I assumed.

Most recent issue is some intermittent oil leakage. It is occurring usually after a go WOT. Last night when it occurred I could actually smell a little oil after a hard run and when I got home there was a bit of oil that had leaked onto the ground.

Doing a little research, I guess LS series engines under forced induction will suffer from some excessive blow by and can shoot oil past the rear main when the crank case doesn't vent properly. I'm hoping this issue can be fixed with a change to the PCV or something else, but I wanted the input from you guys here before I go start buying some parts. Anything else I need to do to rule out a much bigger problem before I go tinkering?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

How is your PCV actually set up?
If any vacuum/suction lines are routed to the intake (post throttle body) without a check valve, will need to be addressed.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
How is your PCV actually set up?
If any vacuum/suction lines are routed to the intake (post throttle body) without a check valve, will need to be addressed.
Sorry for late response. I still have to figure out this whole issue but I'm fairly sure it's blow by because I only ever see oil after a WOT run. The oil pressure gauge runs up to 60 or so. Sits 35-40 at idle or cruising. I'll see what the installer did with fve PCV. For all I know they deleted it during the install...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to go with you have pressure in your crankcase. My truck did this after going half throttle or WOT with a procharger, and then I installed a catch can with filter to help with venting. And this was with an engine that just came from machine shop.