PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Eastern (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/eastern-122/)
-   -   the Super Chevy Story... long read... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/eastern-122/super-chevy-story-long-read-367696/)

silver-mod-o 06-13-2006 08:01 PM

the Super Chevy Story... long read...

Well myself and Extendocab and Zeus all went up to VMP last weekend. Well let me first start off by saying that the weather SUCKED!!! :barf: ... we had about a 20mph headwind and it got pretty damn hot. I had a couple tranny issues on my first two time runs and the best I could manage due to all the weather was a 14.033 @ 101.3... I guess it traps so well due to the monster gears in the rear-end... anyway. later on that day the "gamblers" race was going down and it was a $35 buy in... well we scratched up the cash and got the ticket and I decided to let Seth drive since he's had a considerable amount more time than me behind the wheel....

-lets rewind about 3 hours.... my bottle heater wasnt working right for some reason so we were having to set the bottle out in the sun to heat it etc etc etc ..... so while we had some down time I took all the relays and auto switches out of the equation of the wiring and ran it straight off a toggle switch and monitored the pressure myself. We got it buttoned up and in the stagin lanes at about 1150-1200 psi :devil: ... looking to run pretty close to our 13.80 dial in we decided on since the weather got a little better......

-back to the race.... we watched the pressure the whole time we were in the staging lanes and kept it just right figuring on a good 13sec run out of it. Seth lines up against a consistent 18 sec truck who's a regular at the Super Chevy Show (from what I could tell) and figured we were getting ready to WAX this guy and send him home out of the race early... Seth does a very nice burnout, stages and the lights start to drop.... green hits and the truck launches pretty well (best 60ft of the weekend, 2.2~) 1/2 way though first, seth flips the toggle to spray.... and nothing... turns it off, on, off, on..... lifts thinking its the WOT switch... nothing so finally he leaves it on and stands in it hoping the N20 will come in eventually.... it never does... well the board lights up at the other end showing a 15.25 @ 86 in our lane and all we could think was W-T-F.... :eek2: .... we get back to the campsite looking around and discover the problem after much swearing and head-scratching... it helps if the bottle is fucking OPEN :bang: :bang: :bang: ... none of us thought to open the valve after we put it back in the truck... so we decided that 15.25 wasnt a terrible time spraying nothing but a huge shot of fuel all the way down the track... :jest: :jest:

We had fun anyway...

-Sunday.... DOT class eliminations start... I keep my 13.80 dial in thinking since it was a little cooler with no headwind I'd run very close to that number. Apparently the 1/4 mile gods werent smiling on me that day because I ended up running 14.30's because for some reason it wouldnt shift out of second... :bang: :bang: so I was spraying a 125 shot, bouncing it off the rev-limiter for a considerable length... I was just waiting on a big boom and the track crew following me down the track with a broom... I again didnt get the win light so we went back and started tearing down and loading up and getting ready to go home. Seth went to the second round where he lost. but I must say, his truck is FAR more consistent than mine... maybe not the fastest out there but he's a good driver and he is part of that truck when he kicks its ass down the track...

-I honestly can't complain about my times for the weekend considering my relatively short list of mods and being that it was the truck's first ever trip to the track.... so as of right now, my best is a 14 flat at 101. Hopefully that will change July 1st when we go back to the track and tear it up some more...

-Seth and Zeus fell free to add any after-hours activities you two may have been a part of as well as your storys of putting that POS Nova on the trailor for the second year in a row.... plus the lack of advertisement the track had on Sunday... :jest: :jest: ....

-I'll be back next year and hopefully by then I'll be ready to do a little better. We'll see... if you havent been to a Super Chevy Show anywhere, you're missing out...

extendocab 06-13-2006 08:56 PM

Yes very good time..... We have pictures that we will get up this weekend if we get a chance for you guys..... Bens truck runs really good on the bottle, I have no dout that his truck is a mid 13 second truck with good weather, traction, and no head wind..... Jordan you really missed out, I wish you were there man..... Maybe next time....

Seth

ZEUS!!!! 06-14-2006 05:52 AM

Yeah it was a great weekend end accept for all the bone head,,,, or should i say knothead plays. oh well shit happens, letss see what we can do on the first for the test and tune, i will have the T-Bizzel out there for that one.

and yeah the pos nova was funny fouled pluggs and all

silver-mod-o 06-14-2006 07:15 AM

hows about us getting that pig down to 4240 lbs!!!! We'll get those pics up as soon as I find my cable :bang: I have a lot more to post as well... plus some vids.

-thanks guys for the help this weekend... that whole evolution would have been a huge pain if any one of us had tried to do it on our own... :judge:

ZR1 DREAMING 06-14-2006 07:15 AM

man... I'm glad y'all had fun. I know when Ben and I went we had a blast so I'm sure this year was no different. Too bad you couldn't get the sled in the 13s Ben... but I know we'll get it there.

Glad to hear you guys had fun, now post some pics damnit!! :judge:

silver-mod-o 06-14-2006 07:18 AM

Yeah, I know it has some solid 13's in it somewhere... I'm not really worried about thta so much... I am hunting for the 12's when the gears, cam, and stall go in... :devil:

ZEUS!!!! 06-14-2006 10:36 AM

yeah 12's and we will get that thing down to 4k whatcha think. we can go extreme on the diet, atkins style, inner fenders and all :secret2:

ZR1 DREAMING 06-14-2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Yeah, I know it has some solid 13's in it somewhere... I'm not really worried about thta so much... I am hunting for the 12's when the gears, cam, and stall go in... :devil:

oh really??? so we can run 'em heads up soon huh? Key word heads :devil:

silver-mod-o 06-14-2006 11:46 AM

its only 200lbs away... I think it could be done honestly starting with the console and swaybar... There's about 50 right there... then if I vacuum it thats another 15 or so LOL...

silver-mod-o 06-14-2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
oh really??? so we can run 'em heads up soon huh? Key word heads :devil:

ok Mr. Six Liter... built 6L at that... heads intake cam... I'll have a smaller cam, smaller motor, stock heads, stock throttle body, and I still bet it'll be a good race...not to mention your AWD and my lack of traction.