Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

My Engine with a Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Same heads and cam. According to the Hot Rod Magazine intake manifold comparison, the dual-plane manifold has a good torque number, but the graph drops off and has a lumpy shape as rpm increases. The NNBS cathedral port manifold that I am using graphs a very smooth and rising curve in comparison, with significantly more HP at the peak.
So I have maybe not ideal timing, definitely not ideal AFR, and a not as good intake.
Sorry, if we were golfing I would give my excuses before the game started.
dual plane has its place. a cruiser would do best with dual plane, but anything intending to make power should be on a single plane. I still cannot believe that there is only 1 truck on the site using a vic jr with a 4150 throttle body. that combo will out flow any fast intake and nitrous distribution is better too. a matching cam would need to be cut for a single plane though.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I had a Vic Jr. and switched because of the Hot Rod Magazine LS manifold comparison dyno test. It always felt lethargic out of boost with that manifold, and the article gave me reason to switch. I hope it is peppier out of boost with the TBSS type manifold once it gets a proper tune.
Their dyno graph of that manifold proves to me (Edit: gives me the opinion) that it has no place on any street driven vehicle.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 02-04-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Should run really well Mike. How much boost do you plan to run?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:51 PM

I had a Vic Jr. and switched because of the Hot Rod Magazine LS manifold comparison dyno test. It always felt lethargic out of boost with that manifold, and the article gave me reason to switch. I hope it is peppier out of boost with the TBSS type manifold once it gets a proper tune.
Their dyno graph of that manifold proves to me (Edit: gives me the opinion) that it has no place on any street driven vehicle.
the elbow in EFI/FI is what kills the power of that intake. it's been proven over and over. I assume you ran an elbow which would explain the out of boost laziness you felt you also need a cam with valve events that suite the single plane intake. 110 LSA and 106 ICL gets the velocity up. i was cutting 1.46 60' times N/A and throttle response was insanely better than any ported fast intake i ran in the past. turbos dont care what intake you use once in boost, so for sure go with the one you can get good power out of boost with. N/A and nitrous guys should take a harder look at the vic jr intakes IMO. paired with the right cam and a 4150 throttle body it will absolutely rip while being more cost effective.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Did you read the article? Just for comparison purposes, I think it is worth everybody's time
Old 02-04-2017, 05:42 PM

Did you read the article? Just for comparison purposes, I think it is worth everybody's time
yeah. it proves my point. they run 10 front inlet intakes with a cam profile for that style intake, then throws a high revving single plane intake with a wide lsa cam. a cam on a 108-110 LSA cam with a 104-106 ICL will give better carb signal, bring the HP and torque back down below the curve and still pull 500 RPM past a LS style intake.

in the past i've had a truck, ls1, ls6, ported fast 90, vic jr, and been a part of builds with TBSS and fast 102. the throttle response of a vic jr outperformed all of them when set up with a proper cam and carb/throttle body (i assume the throttle body although i have no experience with a 4150) ask dirt track racer. he is the only one around here that i know of with EFI Experience on the vic jr. pretty sure he has tried multiple EFI style intakes too for past experience.

but boost dont seem to care once it is in so it doesnt matter.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 02-04-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
the elbow in EFI/FI is what kills the power of that intake. it's been proven over and over. I assume you ran an elbow which would explain the out of boost laziness you felt you also need a cam with valve events that suite the single plane intake. ... paired with the right cam and a 4150 throttle body it will absolutely rip while being more cost effective.
Originally Posted by TXsilverado

in the past i've had a truck, ls1, ls6, ported fast 90, vic jr, and been a part of builds with TBSS and fast 102. the throttle response of a vic jr outperformed all of them when set up with a proper cam and carb/throttle body ...
OK, I had mismatched parts, and I bow to your experience and believe that a Vic Jr can be made to work. I now understand that switching between any LS fuel injection manifold is pretty much a bolt-on mod and the power changes that it makes are valid. Whereas just bolting on a carb manifold will give you power changes, but the comparison is only valid if it is part of a complete system, including cam and throttle, maybe more.

That all gives me a little more confidence that the manifold that I chose will do what I hoped that it will, since everything about my engine leans toward wanting a TBSS manifold.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:10 PM

smart *** thanks captain obvious i'm not trying to be some all knowing dick, just my experience/criticism of internet dyno sessions. but you're absolutely right. it's all about the combo. throw the most expensive parts at a build and miss the mark if there is no method to the madness. i've spent a ton of money to achieve bigger dyno numbers while going slower on past builds. i know N/A and nitrous. i'm super late to this FI world. typical cam specs of typical ls style long runner intake doesnt play as well to with short runner vic jr intakes. not sure if it's different between a EFI style vic jr vs a less efficient carb vic jr intake that requries more carb signal to pull proper fuel.

i agree with you. i think the TBSS intake is the best for your combo.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 02-04-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Should run really well Mike. How much boost do you plan to run?
Enough about the damn carb. Focus.............

??????
Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Ha, ha. I think my blower was making 11 psi after I built the inlet for my 102 mm throttle. That's it for this blower, totally maxed.