Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Needing advice on slicks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing advice on slicks

I really didn't plan on buying slicks, but I recently found them too cheap to pass up. I bought a pair of Hoosier 31.5/13.5 r15 and I have a few questions/needing advice. I have a RCSB 4x4 03 Sierra with a Lq4 and a 4l60e with slight mods. I've been looking for wheels that would fit both my truck and these tires, and I'm having a little trouble finding some if any has recommendations great. Also I want to know if I need to be worried about breaking anything. My current tranny is 4l60e with an extra intercooler as well as a vette servo, but I do plan on going with a HDLP shift kit as well as a torque converter, which I was also wanting advice on. I'd like a 3000 or bigger stall really, but I still want it to be capable of being a daily driver when I want it to be. My current gears are 3.73. Do i need to be worried about the rearend? Any advice here is much appreciated, as I don't know much on this topic. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Man I hate to tell you this but I believe you are SOL all the way around.
1. That tire needs at least a 12" wide wheel (14-15" recommended). That is going to be custom built only on a 6lug pattern.
2. With a 14" wide wheel, thats a 16" section width on the tire. No way to fit that under the truck without a 4 link inside the frame and possibly a tub job.
3. A 15" wheel will not fit over the stock calipers. You will need to change the calipers and possibly grind them for clearance.
4. That is way too much tire for a mild 6.0L and 3.73 gears to be of any performance benefit.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Agreed. No matter how good of a deal they were, They are not the tires for you! Sell them and research some more. Checkout M/T ET Street S/S 255/50R16 or something similar. I picked up an extra set of stock 16" wheels for the rear around 2007 and that's what I mount my drag radials on. Swap them out when I'm going out to play.