Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Finally figured out motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally figured out motor issue

I have had 2 cylinders close to fouling plugs and a knock from 3 to 6 degrees in my new 408 Stroker. Driving me crazy tuning and and finally decided I had 2 oil rings fu## up even though I was so carefull with building process. Short story...machine shop put in wrong size valve guides and I was sucking oil in Fast...I mean big time drenched. This machine shop cost me a year and a half of tuning, logging adjusting tune...back and forth to track. I mean ready to rig a blast to this setup !!! I have been in contact wth Brian Tooley and Pete Incaudo (great guys). No-one could figure out what the heck was wrong with email and phone calls.
Next I pulled motor, took to a machine shop I trusted and told them to dissect and see what was wrong with this build. Damn AFR heads were running with incorrectly sized valve guides. In the mean time, Pitt was impatient and ordered a new short block from TSP and new heads from ARF. After receiving all new stuff, I found out that all that was wrong with my 408 was my valve guides. Ughhh...out a few thousand bucks !!
So, I am now installing my new 418 LS3 with 230cc AFR heads and a new Performa built tranny.
For sale is my 408 LS2 block with ARP Stud kit, Pete Incaudo ported, polished 225 AFR heads completely freshened up with new valve job and bronze valve guides and Brian Tooley 250 lift springs !! Also I have a new machined Eagle crank and Eagle H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts. Also a new Melling high volume oil pump, 2 Walbro 255 fuel pumps, a damn near new dished Flex plate, 232/600 Pete Incaudo cam that ran 11.14 at 120 mph cam. My name is behind anything I sell. I will post it up soon. Very busy tring to get mt truck back on the road.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Glad you got it figured out! Between machine shops and tuners life can be absolute hell. Be sure and give them a google review that they deserve.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What a nightmare! At least you can move forward now. I always admired your build. Props for staying NA.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Glad you got it figured out! Between machine shops and tuners life can be absolute hell. Be sure and give them a google review that they deserve.
Sorry shop. They even put in the wrong cam bearings. I had to deal with that at the start.

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
What a nightmare! At least you can move forward now. I always admired your build. Props for staying NA.
Thanks. I hope NA produces something better than the past !
Old 02-06-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

What comp ratio is the LS2 408 with those heads? What head CC? What reluctor? What internals? Price? Where are you located?

I am building a 408, but other than the block and having stripped it and sold the stock internals, I haven't spent much. We might could work a deal.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by arthursc2
What comp ratio is the LS2 408 with those heads? What head CC? What reluctor? What internals? Price? Where are you located?

I am building a 408, but other than the block and having stripped it and sold the stock internals, I haven't spent much. We might could work a deal.
I will PM you
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it figured out..
I'm have a blast racing my slow GMC
hope to see you at track soon
Old 02-07-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hardcore
Glad you got it figured out..
I'm have a blast racing my slow GMC
hope to see you at track soon
Hey Tony,
new truck huh ? What happened to the new Stang ?

I am probably 6-8 weeks from the track. Slow going by myself.

Pitt
Old 02-08-2017, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pittman
Hey Tony,
new truck huh ? What happened to the new Stang ?

I am probably 6-8 weeks from the track. Slow going by myself.

Pitt
LOL you know I'm a GM guy.. couldn't stand not tuning my own stuff
my trucks not doing bad 12.91@105
doing the small breaks on the rear today and ordering the Stall in a few seconds ..
I'm really love racing a truck... but I guess you feel the same way

Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Nice !!!!