PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/dodge-engine-exhaust-performance-103/)
-   -   5.9 mods (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/dodge-engine-exhaust-performance-103/5-9-mods-385987/)

GreenBlood 02-16-2007 10:16 AM

5.9 mods

What are some of the best mods to make the Dakota R/T fast, I read somewhere that they do 0-60 i 7 flat, and I was thinking about buying one and making it a fast little street truck...Are there any good torque converters or rear end gears that you guys recommend...those would probably be the the first 2 mods...after that, what engine mods would be good? Any info and/or websites with the parts would really help...Thanks...

98ram3.9l 02-16-2007 06:38 PM

Ok if your serious about making it go fast be perpared to spend some money with it being a dodge.. there is a problem you can not tune a dodge gas burning truck.. but here are a few web sites you can look at to see how fast you want to go
www.krcperformance.com
www.hughesengines.com

Hughes Engines set me up with a very strong 426 stroker they have some very good products.
Krc Performance also has a lot of products for the dodges..
both specialize in dodge so they should be able to help you out with anything you need.

GreenBlood 02-16-2007 07:01 PM

thanks man...anyone else?

GreenBlood 02-17-2007 04:34 PM

bump...anyone no how much those stroker kits help? i was looking at the 390 one...

ND RAM 02-17-2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
bump...anyone no how much those stroker kits help? i was looking at the 390 one...

For a Dakota R/T a 408 is more economical and readily available. It all depends on what ya want as to what it costs, forged or cast. If you plan on adding any boost I'd reccomend forged although you could get away with cast for a mild set-up. :judge:

GreenBlood 02-17-2007 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ND RAM
For a Dakota R/T a 408 is more economical and readily available. It all depends on what ya want as to what it costs, forged or cast. If you plan on adding any boost I'd reccomend forged although you could get away with cast for a mild set-up. :judge:

i i just install the 408 will i notice a boost in power? or do i have to go and bu a new cam and all that shit, i am trying to keep it budget affordable if i end up getting this truck...

1SlowTruck 02-19-2007 03:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you are series about pepping up your R/T I highly recommend www.southeastperformance.com these guys offer a lot of great parts for the 5.9L engine & have been a great help to me with my R/T project. For tuning I used www.bgperformancepcm.com , just send them a list of what mods you have & they’ll reprogram your computer to work with your setup, this is a MUST if you are going with a larger cam, blower…ect. With my trucks current mods “Stock Short Block” it pulled 487HP/503TQ. Here’s a couple photos after the rebuild......GOOD LUCK!

Cavalrykiid 07-24-2008 02:37 PM

The gears are stock 3.93's and thats just fine switch to a 4.10 and youll never get traction

Short list of mods will bring you into the 5 second area on a club cab r/t

torqueflite 727 w/ od
headers, 3 in exhaust with 1 highflow cat
cai
superchips programmer...

mine had all this lowered 2 inches on top of the stock 1 in drop with a built head
forged internals mopar pcm and a 12pound supercharger and it got me into low 12's

plus the good thing about the stock computer is that if you put parts on the truck. reset the ecu and it relearns the new parts.

go talk to sincityr/t on this site or user2006 on dodge-forums.com look in the 2nd gen dakota section.

and for

twisted_dak 07-31-2008 11:27 AM

go with 4.55 and get slick thats what alot of ppl are doing on dakota-durango.com and i would recomend doug thorly for the headers he makes long tube and the old style pph/mopar mids. and probly fast man for the TB thefastman.com .

lastrights 07-01-2010 06:08 PM

you could start out with 1.7 harland sharps