Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

91 Silverado TBI trouble in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Silverado TBI trouble in the morning

Hey guy well my truck just recently started giving me problems in the morning.when I start it in the morning it just starts and dies,idles for 3 seconds and dies.just started a week ago and I'm not sure what it could be because the check engine e light well dosent even work or its not recognizing any issues.I have a parts motor and been switching sensors but can't figure it out.anybody else have an issue like this?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? When is the last time your EGR was cleaned? Sometimes the fuel filter gets clogged and has a hard time idling on the TBI engines as well as the EGR being clogged causes idle issues. I would start there and then go to the TBI next and check the passages under the TBI unit and make sure the PCV system hasn't clogged the passages under it. I've seen that a few times.

Last things to look at is the rotor button under the dist. cap could be burnt up and doesn't have enough power, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

My old 94 with 235k would eat coolant and gummed up a few spark plugs and would do the same thing sometimes, clean up or rev it real good fixed it lol. I also found that the egr valve solenoid was an issue aswell.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys ill pull that egr off and check it out.fuel filter was changed about 3 months.I read while I was researching that I could just block off the egr hole and get rid of it all together?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could but the tune has EGR provisions into it such as spark and fuel so....you may lean out or richen up...can't remember off hand...it's been a while since I looked at a TBI file....but always try it and see.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks I'll probibly just leave it then just to be safe now the truck will barely start and when I do get it cranked up if I give it too much gas it bogs down hard like any thing past 1800 rpms I had to feather the gas real fast just to get it to a parking spot.there was plenty of fuel squirting out of the injectors so its gotta be a spark issue I think.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel pumps on the way out and it has low fuel volume and 90 to nothing says when you pull the sender the rubber hose between the sender and pump in tank will be almost split open and mushy from todays **** ethanol gas.

Be sure to look very close at the sender pass through 4 pin electrical connector once it's removed from the tank I have had many pumps fail and or act dead because the connector starts to burn up. in the last 28 years since I worked on my first TBI truck.

If the check engine light is not functioning that's something else to look into if the PCM has failed it can be running in backup spark and fuel mode which is intended to allow the truck to be driven to a shop for repair. Check and clean the harness grounds on the thermostat housing and on the intake stud on the passenger side 2nd front bolt hole.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reccomendation.now even if I shoot brake parts cleaner in the throttle body while somebody cranks it there's the same problem so should i still pull that pump still?so far I replaced the ICM used IAC and tps off good running but knocking parts motor and used map sensor idk what's going on
Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brake Parts cleaner will not help start the truck...you need a startup fluid to see if it's not getting enough fuel, etc. You should hear if the fuel pump is priming. Have you pulled a start plug do see how it looks or check the rotor button. Usually in my experience...a bog is caused by over fueling the engine and popping is leaning out but just depends how lean or if it's getting any fuel at all.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Well dammit it was the fuel pump I shouldn't have been so stubborn. Bought a new distributor and the same issue bought a orilleys fuel pump and bam its all good back to burning these tires thanks for all the Help and advice guys

Quick Reply: 91 Silverado TBI trouble in the morning