PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   Classic Trucks (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/classic-trucks-182/)
-   -   1978 C-10 SWB LS engine swap! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/classic-trucks-182/1978-c-10-swb-ls-engine-swap-412352/)

chevyguy7802 02-23-2008 05:13 PM

1978 C-10 SWB LS engine swap!

Im gonna start a thread on my swap in my 78! I picked up a complete 5.3 from a neighbor with 90k complete only missing the pcm for 400.00 so i had to jump on it.After tearing one of the heads off im just gonna do a full rebuild on the motor and have it bored to a 5.7! I'll post up some more pics tonite when i get it tore down a little bit more.Here is a picture after i started some of the tear down!She dont look to pretty right now but alittle time and she'll be as good as new!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/100_1406.jpg

LiftedVictory 02-23-2008 08:03 PM

i wish that i had neighbors like yours, sounds like its gonna be a fun project. Good luck. Hope to see some more progress soon.

chevyguy7802 02-24-2008 09:53 AM

lol yea it should be fun deal....il post my progress on the motor maybe later on today or tommarow!

bowtieguy79 02-24-2008 09:44 PM

ALRIGHT! Good score. Any reason for pulling the head? Did the engine run before?

What are your plans? Tranny? Fuel lines?

Best of luck, its worth every penny!

chevyguy7802 02-25-2008 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 (Post 3857186)
ALRIGHT! Good score. Any reason for pulling the head? Did the engine run before?

What are your plans? Tranny? Fuel lines?

Best of luck, its worth every penny!

They told me it came from a wrecked truck 2000 model....i looked under the valve covers and it looks like whoever owned it didnt maintain it very well.... you can tell it has been sitting quite awhile also...but the motor spins! I was gonna make it a 5.7 but im tryin to stay on a budget and the plan now is to tear it down have the block cleaned and honed then just re-ring it and may have them check the crank and im gonna just put some fresh bearings in it! Mainly i just want it to be a fresh motor cause i do plan to put a little spray on it! I didnt get a chance to take it apart this weekend but i plan on starting tommarow so i can get it to the machine shop ASAP!

I plan to do milled 243 heads,and TR220 cam,gonna get a 4l60e and have it built up nicely! As far as getting the fuel to it...im not 100% sure on what im gonna do...might mount a fuel cell between the frame where the spare tire goes and make a nice little fuel door flush in the bottom of the bed and run an inline pump.....idk yet tho we'll see how it goes!

bowtieguy79 02-25-2008 09:53 PM

Can't wait to see your progress! I always like to learn from people that have done the same thing I done. There are a ton of ways to do it. Best of luck! I look forward to following your progress.

chevyguy7802 02-26-2008 12:31 AM

Well ive been flip floppin on making 5.7 or not and after getting it tore down im just gonna go ahead and do it! I ordered the pistons/rings tonite and im gonna get it to the machine shop asap! Still gotta order bearings and stuff...ill get the tear down pics on tonite after work or 2marrow....the oil in the pan was like PUDDING!!! No joke! made me sick to my stomach lol

chevyguy7802 02-26-2008 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 (Post 3858186)
Can't wait to see your progress! I always like to learn from people that have done the same thing I done. There are a ton of ways to do it. Best of luck! I look forward to following your progress.

Yea its cool to see what people do differently and there ideas and such....yes sir there is quite a few ways to go about doing it! Thanks we'll just see how it goes!

chevyguy7802 02-29-2008 06:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
UPDATE

Motor is at the machine shop,i should be putting it together soon....
Here are some pics of the tear down to show you guys how nasty it was lol my dad nicknamed the motor "SLUDGE" lol, and im cleaning all that nasty crap of the covers,rockers,and stuff as we speak.Im gonna have to buy a new oil pan it has a small crack.....but as you can see ive got some cleaning to do!

Here are the pics
Attachment 139762
Attachment 139763
Attachment 139764

BlackGMC 02-29-2008 06:45 PM

Dang that thing is a little nasty.... It should run nicely when your done!!! So did you decide if your going to get tuning software?