Central & Northern ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, MN, IL, MO, IA, KY, OH, IN, MI, WI

Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That actually doesn't seem as bad as I would have thought. Is it the body panels that are most prone or frame suspension or something else? I plan to get a coat of Fluid Film sprayed on to help through this first winter.....
Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
That actually doesn't seem as bad as I would have thought. Is it the body panels that are most prone or frame suspension or something else? I plan to get a coat of Fluid Film sprayed on to help through this first winter.....
I'd say the frame. I have zero rust on my my body panels. From the constant sun beating, your clear coat would go first before anything. Just be sure to wash after rainfall and driving in the snow. The fluid film would be ok. I usually get the underbody wash when I do wash it.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Body rust is a far bigger problem in MN than frame rust.

All truck frames show surface rust pretty much the day you buy it, any spot not covered in the factory undercoating is going to get surface rust. It's not going to damage anything, it's just part of living here. Nothing a quick sanding couldn't fix. Only the early 99-00 frames that have seen 10+ winters and poor care have cracked from the rust, I've seen a few of those before.

Rear wheel well rust and rocker rust is the most popular rust on 99-07 trucks here, more because people don't wash their vehicles enough.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Body rust is a far bigger problem in MN than frame rust.

All truck frames show surface rust pretty much the day you buy it, any spot not covered in the factory undercoating is going to get surface rust. It's not going to damage anything, it's just part of living here. Nothing a quick sanding couldn't fix. Only the early 99-00 frames that have seen 10+ winters and poor care have cracked from the rust, I've seen a few of those before.

Rear wheel well rust and rocker rust is the most popular rust on 99-07 trucks here, more because people don't wash their vehicles enough.
Lol don't forget rocker panels rotting out because people don't wash. And then they was high prices for used vehicles with rust just because its a 4x4 lol gtfoh
Old 08-02-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The biggest thing with body panels in cities like that is getting the insides coated.

Lookup cavity wax. It's made by several companies but it sprayed inside things like rocker panels, frame rails, door pillars, and so on unitized cars so on to prevent rusting from the inside out. It's used in the autobody industry after major repair's in unitised cars. Some OEM's like BMW use it in the vehicles from the factories.

I know dealers use to offer these types of services in the past.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks fast brick! I was planning on checking with a dealer first......maybe it wont be too expensive with GM discount. However, if it is then I will have to check auto body shops I guess....
Old 08-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

They sell do it yourself kits. Might be more economical to do it yourself. Just make sure you lay down something to catch it when it drips out the openings when applying it. It can make a mess.

You can buy spray cans and a wand or professional style kit with 1 quart of product for less than $100. With set up and cleanup time you be at it less than 1 hour total.

I did this on my father's old suburban after installing running boards when it was new.

We had to park it in the street for about a week as the stuff would drip a little here and there as the excess would drain out.

My self, I do the Rocker panels, Any lower sections that have cavities such as A-pillar, B pillar, C pillar if applicable, The Lower section of the inner doors. I Also get any parts of the frame that are closed or boxed off. Water can trap in there and rust from the inside out.

I don't want to recommend a specific product because it's been so long since I have done it.

I have used Fluid Film and it's a great product. I usually coat raw engine parts in it as its is easier to clean than cosmoline. I know the Coast Guard uses it on there Boats and helicopters. I think the Navy might use it as well. I just have no long term use with it in an application like this.

The Cavity wax is specifically designed for the application which you are intending to use it for.

I believe fluid film would need to be re-applied whereas the cavity wax is a 1 time application type product.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes from what I understand Fluid Film is recommended once a year. I will check out the Cavity wax. I am not sure I would have a very good way to do it once I got up there as we will most likely be in an apartment to start. I could potentially do it down here before we left though......

Thanks so much for all the help!!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Yes from what I understand Fluid Film is recommended once a year. I will check out the Cavity wax. I am not sure I would have a very good way to do it once I got up there as we will most likely be in an apartment to start. I could potentially do it down here before we left though......

Thanks so much for all the help!!
No Problem!

I would do it before you leave.

I hate the whole Appt deal, especially when you have to do the maintenance stuff. But I understand,you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quick Reply: Moving to Michigan - Is the Rust as Bad as I Think?