Canada eh

Fuel quality, availability Yukon Territory ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuel quality, availability Yukon Territory ?

Planning to transit through Whitehorse, and Calgary, wondering what Octane ratings I will find along the way ?
Do most of the smaller stations sell premium fuel ?
I need a minimum of 90 octane for normal operation..

. Also, what are the laws like concerning non-residents traveling with firearms ?
Shotguns still legal there ?
Trigger or cable locks required ?
Thanks for any information.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as firearms are concerned, i'm not very knowledgeable. However as far as alberta is concerned with fuel pretty much any station in any city i've been to between grande prairie and lethbridge you can always find 91, unless its a little town in the middle of nowhere, they generally only have one pump and it's 87. as long as you fuel in the cities or larger towns you'll be fine, and some husky and petrocanada stations do carry 94 as well in the larger cities i've noticed.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

After Action Report:
10,000 mile road trip, through Yukon, BC, Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, CO, NM, TX, AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA, and back up to Alaska...
. The good news: Zero oil consumption, no mechanicals.
Fuel was available, in Canadian cities we could always find 91 unleaded, which is slightly inferior to Alaska's 90 octane pump fuel. Needed to pull 3 degrees spark timing for Canadian fuel.
Outside cities, you will only find 87 octane, unsuitable for high compression, or forced induction . We carried an extra 12 gallons of premium, which was just enough to get us through.
Next trip, I will need a Suburban, auxilliary tank, or something with more fuel range.
Found 94 octane a few times, but availability is so limited that one would be silly to TUNE for 94 octane on a road trip. Maybe for an occasional use vehicle, or race track/ sunday driver it would be great, for an 11 state, 3 province family VACATION, a naturally aspirated, low performance land-yacht with a HUGE fuel tank would make more sense.