BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

Thermometers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thermometers?

What's everyone using? I'm looking to get a wireless one so I can keep an eye on the pit while inside. I've got a regular digital one for actual meat temp but would like one for inside the house. I mainly cook on a charcoal/wood smoker so it can flair up on windy days or if a big chunk of wood lights off good. Especially since I don't have a dampener for the exhaust stack(fluke?).
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a new one out that the BBQ gurus are really liking. IIRC It's the Maverick ET-732. I have the earlier generation et73 and it works well but the distance is not as advertised and it had been re-developed. The 732 is on my list of need to buy bbq toys. Been spending most of my money on boat/fishing stuff lately and have not used my smoker much.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Just ordered one up, thanks Vince. Having to keep checking on the temp of my ribs was cutting into my beer time. Ill let you know how I like it. From the youtube videos I watched it looks really good.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI you do not cook ribs by temp! I use the bend test, tooth pick test or pulling two bones in opposite directions to see if they are done. In most cases I smoke ribs @ 225-250* for about 3-4 hours and then foil for an hour or so. Then sauce for a half hour or so and serve. Remember this..... if you insert a thermometer into a piece of meat with a bone and touch it you get a false reading. Ribs IMO are next to impossible to screw up once you figure out how to make them. Keep the thermometer for butts, brisket, roasts, whole chickens, pit temp, pork loins.......
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Yeah I know, I just watch for the meat really start humping up between the bones and pull away from the end of the bones. Ive pretty well got my process down. I get the firebox crankin pretty good(~500) and sear the ribs meat down for 15 minutes, then throw it on the end of my smoker at 300 for 3.5-4 hours depending on the thickness and what the meat is telling me on the bone. I mainly want the thermometer to keep track of pit temp because use charcoal and mesquite chips. If the wind picks up or a few more chunks of charcoal light off the temp can rise pretty quick. Luckily once the meat is over in the smoker portion it stays pretty consistant as long as the wind doesnt pick up. Ive got a weather station that gives me wind speed and direction so I can kinda tell when my pit is going to start getting hot because of it. Just want a little more insurance. Ive got a digital thermometer for checking meat temp so I probably wont use this one for that.