BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

Pork butt...shoulder turned into pulled pork bbq

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pork butt...shoulder turned into pulled pork bbq

I made one this weekend. But I brined it instead of the norm.

I also made ribs and everybody ate the ribs and missed the pulled pork bbq I made from the shoulder. LOL I have had it all for myself two days in row now!! MMM MMMMM

Brined in a crazy orange juice (not a ton), garlic (blended in blender), coffee (not a ton), vinegar, lemon juice, salt (of course), a few a non-evasive spices like sage and such. I put a **** ton of garlic in a blender. **** ton. Brined for ever. About 26 hrs. I also injected the brined into it, a lot. Kept in a cooler and just threw a dozen or so ice cubes in it every so often (once all of them melted). Every time I opened the cooler the garlic just fills the room! I will say for a measurement the crazy brine I made filled up a blender, about 3 quarts. The rest of the brine was salt water to fill the cooler over the meat.

26 hrs later, took out of cooler and patted dry and put the same spices on it as I put in the brine (lots). Let it sit for about an hour, maybe a little less. Got gas grill at 500* and proceed to try and burn the fat on the outside and searing the meat elsewhere. Got a nice crust on it. Took a bit obviously due to soaking in the salt water for over a day, LOL. Then put in eletric smoker with 2 big hunks of hickory. Smoked for 3hrs @ 225*. Took out and put in basting pan. Put water and guinness beer in bottom of pan. Put shoulder on a rack in the pan so that the meat side is down and fat side is up. Try to keep it out of the liquid (barely out of liquid). Covered (put over top, not wrapped) the shoulder with foil and then covered the whole pan with foil as well. Cook at 300* for almost 3hrs. At this time, 3hrs is your call. I was looking for the fat to have shrunk considerably and the meat to almost fall off as I hit it with the fork.

Starting weight was ~5-6lbs.

Took out, let it rest for about 15 minutes then took to shredding and cutting it up. I did throw any fat that wasn't crispy to the dog. I didn't want slimey fat in the bbq. Once it was all pulled and to my liking (I like long strands) I added Baby Rays BBQ sauce till it was too my liking (not to soaked but definitely bbq'ed with sauce) and put in stove top pot. Put lid on and ta-da...very subtle tastes. Hickory is strong but then smoothes out with the garlic always there, just there. The soft spices where apparent but subtle and compliments the hickory.

I really like mesquite and will do this again with mesquite instead. The hickory is good, really good in fact, but something about mesquite really gets me.

Sorry for no specifics on measurements, it's BBQ...experiment damn it!

Last edited by dewmanshu; 06-07-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sounds good....

I need to get in the mesquite chip business, I have many lifetime supplies worth of mesquite trees at my ranch

But I do remember a bbq place called Mother Mesquites, and it was good, too bad it isn't around anymore
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds nice. I just did some pork shoulders this past Friday. I Just let it sit out for a few hours to get to room temp. Rub it down with a paprika based rup. Let it sit while I get the smoker ready. I do 2 at time so at the 5 hour mark I rotate them. Then 10 hours latet its all done.

If you have any of yours left, a idea I had and was wonderfull. Pulled Pork Taco's!!! I used soft shells, and it is simple. Shell, pork, a crisp slaw, and we made mango salsa to top it off. I would recommend it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by blade7022
Sounds nice. I just did some pork shoulders this past Friday. I Just let it sit out for a few hours to get to room temp. Rub it down with a paprika based rup. Let it sit while I get the smoker ready. I do 2 at time so at the 5 hour mark I rotate them. Then 10 hours latet its all done.

If you have any of yours left, a idea I had and was wonderfull. Pulled Pork Taco's!!! I used soft shells, and it is simple. Shell, pork, a crisp slaw, and we made mango salsa to top it off. I would recommend it.
LOL I've done pulled pork tacos with slaw before. Awesome stuff. Didn't think to use the mango though. I bet that would be good with some spicy pork.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nuclear Endless
Damn that sounds good....

I need to get in the mesquite chip business, I have many lifetime supplies worth of mesquite trees at my ranch

But I do remember a bbq place called Mother Mesquites, and it was good, too bad it isn't around anymore

yeh, I should by stock. I put chunks of it on the grill with foil over it when ever I am grilling....anything.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dewey one thing here with the fat that was leftover. Not sure what the inturanal temp was but I find when making butts that I normally take them up to 195-210* before pulling. I also wrap them in foil and let them rest for a while after reaching this temp. Sometimes in a cooler wrapped with foil and towels for up ro 6 hours. I find by doing this the fat continues to render. Not sure if you took a temp reading or if the brine was why the fat did not render. But I figured I would add this info. HTH Vince

Originally Posted by blade7022

Taco's are a great idea. I actually use pulled pork for all kinds of dishes. Taco's, tamale's, enchiladas, and the best is pulled pork BBQ nachos. I swear if you like nachos you have to try this. I use some chili beans, pulled pork, con queso salsa cheese, chips and BBQ sauce. Make layers of it with all the ingredients being hot and then serve it. It is freaking awesome! The good thing about nachos is you can add whatever you like.So be creative and enjoy them with the smokey goodness of pulled pork!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Good point...I was kind of behind the eight ball on this cook and was tearing it apart way to early for sure. A couple hour sit probably would have helped. Keep in mind I did brine it forever so I am not sure how much longer it would taken to render the internal fat.

I throughly enjoyed every bite of this stuff though. They were the best pulled sandwiches I have ever had. (with slaw of course LOL)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To speed up your cook you can always foil your porks butts when the inturnal temp reaches 160* and let it ride to your desired finished temp.