BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

My Memorial Day BBQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Memorial Day BBQ

Hey Vince!

I got some BB backs and Rib-eyes, a Weber and some kingsford. I was thinking of Orange juice and Soy marinade? Steaming the ribs? I need some help here!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a big steamer. However don't steam all the way. Finish them on the grill or smoker. If you are okay with them being a little greasier than normal you can start them on the grill/smoker to get the smoke flavor and then steam. I do both ways.

Ribs do much better with a rub rather than a marinade.
Those rib eyes, rubs work good too but experiment with the marinade. If you like it, it will probably be okay to marinade with. Orange Juice will be strong, might want to go with a soy, water and orange peels and slices, throw a couple sage leaves in there as well. Crush them up to get them to let go of their goodness...oooh basil leaves as well. Some kind of asian basil leaf, like Thia Basil, the ones that have some spice in them.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

yeah, that sounds good! We have lots of fresh basil...hmm.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

How about the fire? Hot grill or low coals? I was thinking of searing the steaks on a hot grill and slow cooking the ribs after the coals die down a bit?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 AM

steaks are to be seared, yes. 500* area is great. the problem is you need to eat steaks with in 15-20 of first hitting the grill. leaving the ribs for much later.

there was a old black guy on the food network a few months ago that SWORE by super hot grilling of ribs. he had some tender picking ribs but I have never been able to pull that off. That is when you need to marinate ribs, heck even a little bit of a brine solution as well...to give them a fighting chance to not burn.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

cool. I spent $ on good meat, I really want to doit right.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by trever1t
cool. I spent $ on good meat, I really want to doit right.
be sure to post pics of how it turned out...our food guru is out of the area for the weekend...so you are on your own!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I didn't use a camera so I will paint a mental picture for you.

I marinated the steaks, 3 COSTCO juicy rib-eyes. I used garlic chips, onion chips, orange quarters with skin, twisted..a little dash of water and some seasoning. Refrigerated over night.

The ribs, fresh baby-backs, 3 slabs. I rubbed with a South Western blend and refrigerated over night.

Next morning took the meat out of the fridge and put out for an hour or so.

Fire, coals piled high on one side of the grill, other side empty. With the grill about 1" over the coals on the one side I seared the steaks quickly on both sides and then put them on the 'cold' side of the grill to brown, covered.

The steak came out juicy, red in the middle and delicious!

The ribs...

First let me say that I have never tasted a better rib. Oh I'm sure other's like you (Dewey) and Vince can make them better but I have never tasted them better myself.

The ribs I steamed in a large 5 gallon steamer for about an hour. Just enough but not so much they'd be falling apart. They were still nice and connected.

I placed them on the grill on the ends, standing up on the end of the bones, on the cold side of the grill.

Now here's what I think made them taste sooooo good: I draped a pound of bacon all over them so as the bacon cooked all that greasey goodness dripped over and down each and every section. I slow cooked them for 2 hours, until the bacon was just right.

OMG, everything DOES taste better with bacon on it. I ate yesterday and I just ate more now. So freaking good, who cares about a rib-eye?

Wish I took pictures but hope you get the picture anyhoo.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and buy a Big Green Egg. Everything tastes better when cooked on an egg. You can use it as a smoker or grill. You can even get a baking stone and cook pizza on it. We gave ours a workout today. 6 racks of ribs, 2 whole chickens, 8 burgers and 5 brats. It was a good day.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM

No pictures.....never happened! Oh and aren't you the camera guy? Good to hear things worked out. I love this hobby and experimenting is the key to success.

Quick Reply: My Memorial Day BBQ