BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

the Hill Debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the Hill Debate

Charcoal vs. Propane.

Just got a nice gas grill, 3 burner with side burner. I've never really cooked with gas, other than an oven.

What are some of the differences when cooking with gas? Tips to get the best flavor. No coal = no smokey flavor?

Crap, after reading the reviews on that grill .... maybe not a good buy.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the split, coal and gas grill a few years back. I love it. Gas rocks for quickness. I wouldn't cook an 1/8th as much as I do outside if I didn't have the ease of gas. I have mastered the easy trick of taking a thick piece of hickory or mesquite and putting foil over it and putting it on the gas grill. Wolla! smoke. (foil is to keep the ash from flying over your food.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Charcoal alwas tasted better to me anyways.. gas u taste the propane alil...i say stay with the charcoal its better n cheaper
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06murder
Charcoal alwas tasted better to me anyways.. gas u taste the propane alil...i say stay with the charcoal its better n cheaper
charcoal cheaper? I can go about 6 months on a tank of propane for $21.00. That's grilling out at least once a week. Ain't no way in hell that much charcoal is cheaper.....
Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the is alot of flavor loss on a propane grill VS. charcoal.

But propane still gets the job done.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM

I use lump charcoal, kings-ford briquets and gas! As stated by Dewey gas is quick and convenient. I use lump and briquets in my Weber smoker/grills. For a gas grill if your looking to add some smoke I use foil pouches and put wood chips in them right on top of one of my burners. Some say to poke a few hole and also soak them in some water first. I honestly do not soak my chips unless I find that they burn up quickly or if I will be cooking for a long time. In most cases I just make a foil pouch doubling up the foil and fold the ends over leaving a 1" square opening in the middle of the top of the pouch. Put it on the burner and let it go. If it starts to smoke to much or even catch fire just douse it with a splash of your beverage! They do make wood chip boxes and I have one as well but rarely use it.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, foil pouches with wood. I JUST did mahi with apple wood in foil. I am sorry guys, there is no way charcoal is cheaper than my gas. And now that the grill has been used for more than one summer, good luck knowing the meat came from a gas grill even, there is some good seasoning "crud" on that baby!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

lol, well thanks, foil pouches and chucks of sweet fruit wood sounds like a weener. I ended up taking that grill back to Home Depot after reading all the reviews and checking it out a little closer I'm gonna look around for a real nice one.

I have a webber coal grill that does ok, the Mrs. wants a burner outside (cook stinky fish) so a gas burner is a mandate.

Got any recommendations for a good gas grill big enough to fit a few racks with a big side burner that won't break the bank? Rotisserie attachments?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When i used to use charcoal, i found a quick way to get it going cause i am an impatient bastard. Start the charcoals as usual with lghter fluid. Then break out your lawn blower and hose it. It takes about 1-2 min to get all the fluid burnt off and the coals cherry red. Sounds retarded but it works great

Anyways i need to try that foil trick
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

and you can forge some steel while your at it

Quick Reply: the Hill Debate