BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

First brisket today

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Gas grill?? Thought that was a Sin?

We use charcoal, hickory, or pecan.. its sooo much better!
No doubt...but I am NOT going through all of that all the time. I use my grill on average 3-4 times a week. I am not charcoaling that often. Charcoaling for me is for special dinners .

Last edited by dewmanshu; 08-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have quite a few special dinners then haha..
We did a cool lil deal with pork chops last week. Apple jelly, put it in the microwave and warm it up till it thins out. mix in about 75/25 jelly/sweet baby rays sweet and spicy BBQ sause.
Baste the pork chops and let them sit for a lil while till the grill gets hot.. slap them on the grill and coat them each time you flip'em.. OH MY.. sooo good.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

i dont have the patients to wait on charcoal. i can make a damn good pork loin or steak on my gas grill, that's about it. it doesnt do chicken very well. I usually only cook steak anyways.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

We usually get the group of friends together atleast every monday night to cook and hang out. so we are always cooking something, burgers are my favortie, but a good steak does take time but its worth it.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can throw a piece of wood wrapped in foil on the gas grill...you'd never know the difference. I'll admit though, the gas grill needs to be fairly well seasoned though. I can slay some chickens.

I need a new grill, I keep avoiding it (and I need one bad) because I don't want to lose the charcoal, but I've gotten so good on the gas I don't ever use the charcoal anymore. I would never argue gas is as good, just that for me, it's not THAT good that I am going through the trouble of setting up charcoal 3-4 times a week. Let alone buying charcoal all the time. I am with ya though, charcoal is some good stuff. I used to swear by it as well. Just getting home at 6 every night and wanting to grill...gas is the ****! btw, my wife doesn't cook, I cook all of our dinners AND grocery shop! Alright, when I can't get home in time she'll cook. lol
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I can throw a piece of wood wrapped in foil on the gas grill...you'd never know the difference. I'll admit though, the gas grill needs to be fairly well seasoned though. I can slay some chickens.

I need a new grill, I keep avoiding it (and I need one bad) because I don't want to lose the charcoal, but I've gotten so good on the gas I don't ever use the charcoal anymore. I would never argue gas is as good, just that for me, it's not THAT good that I am going through the trouble of setting up charcoal 3-4 times a week. Let alone buying charcoal all the time. I am with ya though, charcoal is some good stuff. I used to swear by it as well. Just getting home at 6 every night and wanting to grill...gas is the ****! btw, my wife doesn't cook, I cook all of our dinners AND grocery shop! Alright, when I can't get home in time she'll cook. lol
nancy, you mean your husband doesnt cook or shop?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its usally about 6 of us so we all split it up, its not all that bad.
I just hate when the humidity is way off the chart, its 95* in the shade and over a hot grill.. but its worth it in the end.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
TEN POUNDS! That'd make lunch meat for a week for us!

It's interesting, lots of spices, complicated...it may not smoke well. It may cake on me. We shall see.
I usually stay at 13, and even done 19lbs before for BBQ's.

Your rub wont "cake" on you. It's impossible to **** up a rub, unless of course the flavors suck, but that would be operator error.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yall ever use the Creole Butter injection stuff? gotta be my favorite!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

video-2012-01-28-12-14-45.mp4 video by fredwho - Photobucket please excuse my manners, but it was so good I had to smack

that was an old one, but I posted it to show that people do it many ways. In Texas, people like to criticize those of us who use a foil pan. I smoke mine in the pan with juices for about half the time, maybe more. It takes on average 12 hours, sometimes more depending on the size etc. What I learned was this...make it how you like, or make it how others like, either way, have fun with it.

I for one am not impatient with my BBQ, we like to take it serious, even making our own sauce as you see in the vid, all from scratch.

Quick Reply: First brisket today