BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

Breakfast Beers - Texas craft or otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make an effort to not drink any inbev beers, esp. Budweiser and it's derivatives. If you're going to drink a Budweiser, get a Lone Star instead. That's my go to for high volume drinkin.

I've had some decent dogfish beers. Seems to me they specialize in ipa's. Not my first choice.

Right now my favorite stouts are coming from a brewery in Houston called brash. They have 3 different ones and are all awesome. They don't can yet tho, so you can only get them at bars.

Been drinking the tenfidy from Oskar blues, buried hatchet from Southern Star, and little Betty from Nebraska brewing.

Glad to talk to someone else who appreciates stouts. Seems like the ipas and fruit beers are taking over
Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sours, fruit beers, and barrel-aged stuff definitely seems to be the popular thing at the moment. I like some of the sours, but many of the regular barrel-aged stuff is just too sweet for me. It picks up too much of the wood sugars I guess. That or the sweetness of the wine if wine barrels are used.

I'm a fan of a good, classic stout. One of the most recent ones I tried was the Chief Justice Stout from Legal Draft Brewery in Arlington, TX. They are a relatively new brewery and are just now getting distributed far and wide across the Fort Worth/Dallas area. Not too sure how far else across the state they have gone.

I tried the Buried Hatchet from Southern Star a while ago, and it just wasn't for me. Reminded me too much of a straight brown ale, and those aren't my thing. Most everything else I love from Southern Star.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see what you're saying about the buried hatchet. It is a little dry. Doesn't have much head. Not my favorite, but I do like it.

I've seen the justice stout, I'll give it a shot. Seems like we have similar taste. I like the traditional cream style stouts. I get tired of the Bourbon barrel stuff. Not a big fan of the smoke flavor in the imperial Russian style stouts either. The wine barrel brews don't even seem like beer to me. St. Arnold's had a bishops barrel and a Divine in that style. Didn't care for it at all.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, all the barrel stuff is getting a bit outta hand.

Lemme know how you like that Chief Justice. Seems like stouts are getting somewhat forgotten on the craft brew stage. It's nice when you find a good one. If memory serves, Galveston Island Brewery might have a good one, too. It's been a bit since I've visited down there, so I might be confusing that place with somewhere else. I liked a lot of their beers, though.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good call on the chief justice stout
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. Legal Draft brewery is only a few blocks away from my work. I really should visit there more often.

There's another local stout I'm itching to try. It's called Soul Pleasure by Wild Acre Brewing here in Fort Worth. I've had a couple of their other brews and have liked them.

I'm really enjoying sampling the current boom of local craft beer, very similar to what is occurring in the Houston area. As much as it pains me to know Karbach sold out to Inbev/AB/whatever it is, their beers are some of my favorite from down there.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The craft beer thing is pretty cool. Found a couple of sites that will ship you beers from all over the states. Might get the soul pleasure from there if I can't find it local.

Man I broke down and bought the three legged lab imperial stout the other day. It's was pretty damn good. I understand they probably got an offer they could try refuse. Not going to hate them for it. But I will support the independent Brewers over their beers.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That site sounds super handy. What is it? Feel free to PM if you want.

I hear ya on wanting to support independent breweries more than those owned by big conglomerates. It's hard when they still have tasty brews though haha. Real Ale, Southern Star, and the aforementioned Galveston Island Brewing are some of my favorite TX breweries not local to the DFW area.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I googled online beer sales. There was like 5 sites the specified craft beer. Haven't used any yet. Did a quick search on a couple; didn't find the soul pleasure
Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, I honestly didn't know such places existed as online beer sales. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for letting me know.