Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

REAL No shit 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REAL No **** 4x4

So like most of you, I have the IFS 9.25 front differential in my 2500 which has an open carrier that allows the wheel with the least amount of traction to spin, leaving you pretty screwed offroad just when you really need it.

And of course, we don't have hubs to just turn to unlock said differential, so a spool or locker is out of the question, unless you want to drop $1000 on an air locker.

Well, I figured out how NOT to drop any cash and to have the front work like you want it to and here's how it all started...

My new Dirtymax was stock for 5 minutes. AFTER that, I was rocking 550/900 and eager to see the limits of everything because racetruck....

Well after launching in 4 HI, I completely shattered the front diff like a dinner plate. Had fun doing it though, so no regrets.

After taking it apart and discovering that the actuator didn't shove the fork back enough to properly engage the gear onto the shaft to connect the passenger side axle to the one thats inside the carrier, I was going to just order a tough shaft that skips that whole process and goes straight all the way through the axle tube to the carrier but decided rather than do that and keep the open differential, I would go with a locker.

So, here's what you really want to know and I figured it out the hard way fellas. Might as well be top secret or maybe nobody talks about it but....

GM made a GM 14 bolt rearend semi-floater 9.5" ring gear setup in the late 80's/early 90's with a G80 and they are everywhere in junkyards.

GM is lazy (or awesome) and kept the carrier dimensions between the 9.25 and 9.5 the exact same because when they came around with the 9.25 AAM, they just literally copied the 9.5 carrier design exactly and just turned down the ring gear diameter a little bit. Awesome.

So, you can use a G80 from the rear of the old 9.5 semi floaters which were C-clip axles (so they have the recessed machining inside that will work with your axles with the wire clip!!!) inside your 9.25 AAM IFS.

Well, that sounds great, but won't it **** up on the street?
No. Why? Because when 4x4 isn't engaged, the passenger side stub shaft is disengaged from the carrier, so it can freely spin and do nothing while driving down the road and you can make full turns without issue!!

Now, in 4HI (which I have used on the street just to see if it would break the **** before telling anyone what I had done) the truck will actually lock up the G80 providing actual 4x4 not 3x4 like every stock truck on the planet. The only drawback is that steering in 4x4 is a big pain in the *** and turns must be made at slow speeds only. No high speed pavement 4x4 action.

I absolutely love it and never use 4x4 while going above 20mph on pavement anyway, so it works great for me. Offroad, it is an absolute GOD compared to stock thanks to that heavy *** diesel trying to sink the front end.

Just thought I would share with yall because this mod is CHEAP. I got my carrier and rebuilt it with fresh clutches and new bearings for $150. Pretty damn sweet deal for no **** 4x4 action.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is some good info. I'm about to buy my nephew's 1999 nbs 2500 4x4 for dirt cheap and begin a big rebuild/ off-road build on it. Question on this is do I just use the G-80 from the 9.5" and then when I regear buy the 9.25" R&P set?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

That's very interesting!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Thats pretty cool! Good inginuity! You should add some pics
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going to blow the front differential apart, hate to be negative nancy but it is going to happen. The aluminum housings will expand due to the forces on the gears inside and shatter, ive seen it a few times now myself and heard about hundreds. That limited slip is going to make it even worse when you get the shock load of it locking, i would put $100 on shattering that front diff within 5 times of the limited slip locking while under power, if not the first time.

That is the reason the only lockers available for these front diffs are selectable(air) because the manufactures know that the shock loads from a automatic locking differential will break them. The shock load from when a g80 locks is what has broken parts inside of the few that ive rebuilt or replaced throughout the years and those have been in rear axles obviously.

Last edited by rennat_2006; 06-06-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting, curious to see how long it lasts though!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

hmmmmm great read. Some one do this and blast off some 1/4 passes. We need a test mule.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I nominate you choda... Lol!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

In for the long time results.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I nominate you choda... Lol!!!
I havent driven my truck in 3 months man! its fing killing me. This would be a great thing to test though.... hmmmmmm

Let me get rolling down the road first and some miles on this baby first.

Quick Reply: REAL No shit 4x4