PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   8-Lug Truck Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/8-lug-truck-performance-149/)
-   -   Exhaust smoke from diesel (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/8-lug-truck-performance-149/exhaust-smoke-diesel-452148/)

MNBlade 11-21-2009 12:23 AM

Exhaust smoke from diesel

Hey everybody, I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD LB7 Diesel truck that has smoke coming from the exhaust. It has 184,XXX miles on it. It has 5 inch exhaust, Ams Oil air filter, and the Edge Juice with Attitude chip. What could be the cause of whitish/bluish smoke? Its not burning any oil and it does it whether its warm or cold, doesnt matter. I have seached a lot but found nothing like this.

Thanks,

Shawn

JakeBrakeIH 11-21-2009 06:25 AM

is it smoking under load, or just while idling?

stock48 11-21-2009 07:19 AM

Being an LB7 my guess would be injectors. I have seen many of them do it. You can try some injector cleaner mixed with marvals mystry oil and see if that helps. Be sure to keep an eye on the oil level, because the injectors can leak diesel into the crankcase.

JakeBrakeIH 11-21-2009 10:23 AM

^^^Agreed, leaky/tired injectors can cause an 'overfueling' problem at idle, which will cause a blueish hue to the exhaust color. There was a lot of problems with the LB7 injectors and I believe there was a recall on them if Im not mistaken.

Dgrown 11-21-2009 12:55 PM

the warranty is 7 years from built date or 200,000 miles the recall is hard to get unless you have friends at high places in stealerships but otherwise its a 6grand bill to have them all changed out and if you buy injectors your self and take them to a good diesel mechanic it would be cheaper

MNBlade 11-21-2009 05:36 PM

Ok. Thats what I was thinking. Would they all be bad or just a few? Is there a way to confirm that before I spend the money on injectors? I would probably do the work myself.

duramax3388 11-21-2009 10:47 PM

its kinda hard to just pick out the bad ones and since your in there already just replace all of them at once easier than going back in anymore than you have to

stock48 11-21-2009 11:18 PM

Better off changing them all, if one goes another is right behind. It's a flawed design destand to fail. Join the dieselplace and do a search, you will find out alot more than you want to know about it. Good news is there are places to get the injectors for alot less, and some sell kits to rebuild yours. I'd look around for the best deal on a new set, and do the instal myself. You should be able to do it all for less than 2k and the truck will be good for another 100K.

Chris05 11-22-2009 01:30 AM

Being a diesel tech at the stealership lol, the warranty will only cover for injector return rates and under the special policy, the policy includes replacement all injectors if theres diesel in the crankcase and other reasons like extended crank conditions. The injectors are not covered for balance rates anymore, which sucks. If you end up paying for replacing a few injectors run the amsoil diesel fuel additive after to try to clean the rest of the fuel system; it works the best also stanadyne sells a good additive too.

Chris05 11-22-2009 01:32 AM

stock48 is right also be ready for another injector to drop anytime after just replacing 1 or 2 injectors at a time.