Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Broke down and bought me a diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-A down pipe back exhaust will suffice in letting your duramax breath. A aftermarket down pipe isn't need if you're not running an upgraded turbo and can always be added later.

-Stock air box is fine for stock turbo. S&B would be my top choice if you're getting one to fit up to a LBZ mouthpiece.

-IMO the easiest way to rid yourself of egr problems is to install a blocker plate from Kennedy diesel or some other diesel store and then turn the egr off with EFI live. Should pass any visual state inspection unless the inspector knows what they're looking for. Oh and then bypass the egr cooler with a piece of heater hose. Simple and cheap if you're putting a tuner on at the same time.

-Idaho Rob has been the big name EFI live tuner lately.

Duramax Forum and Diesel Place have been my go place for Duramax information. A lift pump or dual fueler should be on that list to help maintain constant rail pressure. Plus extra filtration is nice if you go with a lift pump like fass or airdog etc.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info fellas, I appreciate it!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 PM

Haven't done a whole lot to this truck yet, but I did finally buy the LBZ turbo inlet and went ahead and bought the ProFab intake kit. Pretty happy with how it all turned out. Its not quite a "plug and play" setup but its not too hard to figure out when you read the instructions haha.

So here's the difference between inlets. Can fit my whole arm in the LBZ inlet, cant even fit my hand in the LLY inlet.

And here is everything all mounted up.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Did you glue that red cap on?

It may not stay on there. You might want to get an actual plug that goes in and has a hose clamp to retain it.

Other wise, looking Good!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 PM

No but it does snap on there. There is a rib inside the cap and a rib around the nipple that the cap snaps over. It takes a fair amount of effort to pull it back off. The plugs they sell for it just have o-rings and sit inside the nipple.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

If you get tired of the red cap and you want to get that plug, I have one leftover from my LBZ. Let me know
Old 04-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Possibly, How much would you want for it?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
Possibly, How much would you want for it?
$20 shipped USPS?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Assuming you arent actively looking to get rid of it, let me get through the next few weeks of job hunting and a vacation I have coming up and I'll send you a message!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RedChev
-A down pipe back exhaust will suffice in letting your duramax breath. A aftermarket down pipe isn't need if you're not running an upgraded turbo and can always be added later.

-Stock air box is fine for stock turbo. S&B would be my top choice if you're getting one to fit up to a LBZ mouthpiece.

-IMO the easiest way to rid yourself of egr problems is to install a blocker plate from Kennedy diesel or some other diesel store and then turn the egr off with EFI live. Should pass any visual state inspection unless the inspector knows what they're looking for. Oh and then bypass the egr cooler with a piece of heater hose. Simple and cheap if you're putting a tuner on at the same time.

-Idaho Rob has been the big name EFI live tuner lately.

Duramax Forum and Diesel Place have been my go place for Duramax information. A lift pump or dual fueler should be on that list to help maintain constant rail pressure. Plus extra filtration is nice if you go with a lift pump like fass or airdog etc.
Rob doesn’t tune diesels anymore. Stupid EPA