Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Broke down and bought me a diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke down and bought me a diesel!!!

Been looking for a newer truck for over a year now, as the one listed in my sig now has over 200k miles and is turning into a rust bucket. Managed to find this super clean 2004.5 2500HD 4x4 LLY Duramax with only 29,625 miles on the clock!!! Don't plan on towing anything more than a single car and open trailer from time to time, but that may change someday.

The list of things I want to do is all ready growing lol. Please give opinions!
-Exhaust (turbo back or downpipe back/brand?)
-Cold air intake (best brand?)
-possibly EGR delete and PCV reroute/catch can (opinions/tips?)
-EFI Live tune (recommended tuner?)

And of course there's a bunch of other non performance things but just looking for opinions on the performance stuff for now. The other things I'll ask about as I get around to them.

Thanks for any info!
Attached Thumbnails Broke down and bought me a diesel!!!-22181282_10155497267921609_4426253907829346296_o.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice truck!!!! and less than 30k miles? WOW!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice truck!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Sweet!!! I got an 05 LLY earlier this year too.

It's to bad the Diesel community is so stingy with information. It's nothing like this site.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM

I couldn't believe it has less than 30k on it either! The hourmeter is only at like 930 hours too. When I get home I'll post a pic of the interior. The leather barely has any wrinkles and the carpet is almost perfect still. It has a couple minor flaws but nothing that was a deal breaker that's for sure!

1FastBrick, you're right about that. If there's any info, hints, tips, or tricks to these trucks, please share away!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Congrats! Don't forget the lift pump.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
-Exhaust (turbo back or downpipe back/brand?)
-Cold air intake (best brand?)
-possibly EGR delete and PCV reroute/catch can (opinions/tips?)
-EFI Live tune (recommended tuner?)

And of course there's a bunch of other non performance things but just looking for opinions on the performance stuff for now. The other things I'll ask about as I get around to them.

Thanks for any info!
-If you can get away with No cat where you live ,do it. They soot up and stink.
I was fortunate mine had a Banks cat back on it already. I need that cat for inspections in my area.

-S&B with a dry filter is what I hear being the best. Make sure You upgrade the Mouth piece if it has not been done.
Mine had a shitty K&N already but also an AFE mouth piece. I will be changing to an S&B CAI set up in the future.

-For now I disabled mine in the tune. But if you push more power than stock it can force it open. It's recomended to put plates in to block it off.

-EFI live definitely!!! So many tuners and they all lock there tunes from what I hear. I had a DSP5 tune on mine for a little while but the trans started shifting funny And I can't afford to have it built right now. I went back to stock. Allisons are expensive!!!

If you plan on getting more power out of it, change the FPR plug in the back of the fuel rail.

Depending on how hard you push it, you may need to either change the rail crossover fittings or drill them out to 1/8 inch. They are restricted and work fine for stock. But they can't flow and maintain the volume when you push the engine. A lift pump is also recomended.

I am saving for a Trans Build first, Then a Danville stage 2 turbo, a Fass 150 lift pump and the S&B filter assembly. I probally have danville Performance tune it as well since Mark developed his own maps for his turbo.
The following users liked this post:
black00chev (10-16-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 403 Likes on 318 Posts

Lbz mouth piece
Stock lbz intake
Egr delete profab
Pcv reroute
Fprv shim
Down pipe profab
4 or 5" flopro exhaust
Lift pump Airdog 4g
I have used every big diesel tuner. My favorite turned out to be Duramax tuner followed by ATP or Idaho Rob. You will need trans safe tuning or go ahead and set aside 4K for a trans build.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
-If you can get away with No cat where you live ,do it. They soot up and stink.
I was fortunate mine had a Banks cat back on it already. I need that cat for inspections in my area.

-S&B with a dry filter is what I hear being the best. Make sure You upgrade the Mouth piece if it has not been done.
Mine had a shitty K&N already but also an AFE mouth piece. I will be changing to an S&B CAI set up in the future.

-For now I disabled mine in the tune. But if you push more power than stock it can force it open. It's recomended to put plates in to block it off.

-EFI live definitely!!! So many tuners and they all lock there tunes from what I hear. I had a DSP5 tune on mine for a little while but the trans started shifting funny And I can't afford to have it built right now. I went back to stock. Allisons are expensive!!!

If you plan on getting more power out of it, change the FPR plug in the back of the fuel rail.

Depending on how hard you push it, you may need to either change the rail crossover fittings or drill them out to 1/8 inch. They are restricted and work fine for stock. But they can't flow and maintain the volume when you push the engine. A lift pump is also recomended.

I am saving for a Trans Build first, Then a Danville stage 2 turbo, a Fass 150 lift pump and the S&B filter assembly. I probally have danville Performance tune it as well since Mark developed his own maps for his turbo.
I don't have emissions where I live so I should be able to run no cat. The only thing to worry about would be state inspection visual. Same for the case of the EGR. Depending on the inspection station they may fail for no cat or EGR present. How much over stock would the EGR pushing open happen?

I will definitely look into S&B for the CAI and a new mouthpiece. Dry flow filter is a must. Does the mouthpiece get rid of the PCV? Or do people just run a catch can before the intake?

Power wise though, I'll be fine with what ever the intake/inlet, egr delete, exhaust and tune will get me. I don't need anything that will make me get into the trans at all or not let me get 200k miles and more.